cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen + DirectX problem

Devilstower
Expert Protege
You'll have to excuse me for being an idiot. I just moved over to a PC from Mac / iOS expressly to develop for the Rift. So this is the first time I've touched the Windows realm in a decade. My ignorance of PC issues is darn near limitless.

I built myself a new system for this purpose, around an i5 and 7870 card. Then installed a copy of Win8 Pro 64 bit on a clean 2tb drive, so the machine is "factory fresh." A few quick game installs seem to indicate that everything is behaving as far as gaming on the monitor goes, but I've had no luck with the Oculus.

First, when I plug in the Rift I get the "no signal" screen, but nothing I've done since then (duplicate screen, making the Rift the primary display) has made anything else appear. I've tried the Rift both as an HDMI display with the monitor on DVI, and the Rift on DVI with the monitor on HDMI. Nothing either way. The demo runs on the monitor, but the Rift remains black (and yup, I remembered to plug in the USB connector).

That's problem number one. The second problem is that when I try to use any of the compiled examples in the SDK, I get the D3DCompiler_43.dll not found message. I've read a dozen web pages on this, all of which tell me to update my graphics card drivers (done) and to make sure I have the latest DirectX (done).

But no matter how I approach it, the only pixels I've ever seen on the Rift are the "No Signal" screen.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

cybereality
Grand Champion
Well for the DirectX error you have to install an old version of the DirectX SDK:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

For the black screen problems I am not sure. Could be a hardware issue. Make sure you have 3 cords attached to the control box: the power cable, the USB cable, and either HDMI or DVI (but not both). Check that the blue eye LED lights up (you might have to press/hold the power button on the control box). Try plugging in the USB to different ports on your PC (not on a hub). Set Windows into extended desktop mode and set the Rift as 1280 x 800. You should at least see a piece of your desktop on the Rift display.

If you still experience problems and can't get it to work, then email support@oculus.com and we may be able to help you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Devilstower
Expert Protege
Yup, head the blue light on and all cords in as per instructions.

The good news is that after doing a round robin of all the USB ports, I finally got an image. So who hoo! The bad news? I get a message that no sensor is detected, so no head movement.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you do the steps listed here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=556#p5132 and upload the results to this thread?

Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV