cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen appears with Air link

fredand44
Honored Guest

Hello, 

We got some problem to use Air link with our new meta quest oculus 2. Only a black screen appears. (we manage to move the mouse on the PC from the oculus) 

We have connected the PC with a ethernet cable to the router. The oculus headset is connected trough wifi 5G to the router.

I guess there must be some requirements that are not fullfilled. 

One thing that I noticed was that inside the oculus the speed seems to be possible to set dynamically between 10 mbs to 200 mbs. I thought it would be possible to set much higher. I set it to 200 mbs. 

Our hardware is as follows

PC ASUS TUF FX516 - 15,6" | i5 | 16GB | 512GB | RTX 3

Router tplink c9 archer. (I think this should perform around 1Gbs, I might be wrong?) 

What do you think guys? Why do we just experience a black screen from the computer inside oculus? 

Best regards 

Fredrik

8 REPLIES 8

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

You don’t say what your gpu actually is.  If it is a laptop rtx3050 or 3050ti then this will not work.  With laptops you need at least a 3060 or better gpu.  You may want to try using Virtual Desktop from the Quest store.  Some say they get better results with lower end pc’s.  Easy to get a refund if it still doesn’t work for you.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Hello, 

Thanks for your supply. 

I found some more specs:

RTX 3060 | 144Hz - BF21

That sounds like the hardware is ok at least, right?

Best regards 

Fredrik 

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Heya @fredand44. We understand how getting a black screen when you are attempting to use the Air Link feature, is causing you to lose time in the VR experience. We want to do everything we can to get this right for you, but we'll need you to do some information from you. 

Can you tell us if you get a black screen when you are attempting to connect the headset to your laptop via Link Cable? 

We'll also like to try and make sure your laptop is using the correct graphics card if you have more than one inside. Please follow these steps to insure your GPU is set to correct performance required. 

1. Close the Oculus Desktop software
  2. Open Windows Settings > System > Display > Graphics Settings
  3. Select Classic App from the drop down and click Browse
  4. Select the OculusClient.exe (By default, this will be installed C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\OculusClient.exe)
  5. Click Options > High Performance > Save (Ensure the "High Performance" option has your dedicated graphics at the top of this menu)

Once you do all of that, please reach back out with a update on your situation. We look forward to your response and figuring this all out. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

@fredand44 wrote:

Hello, 

Thanks for your supply. 

I found some more specs:

RTX 3060 | 144Hz - BF21

That sounds like the hardware is ok at least, right?

Best regards 

Fredrik 

Ya, sounds like you meet spec.  Specs are for desktop pc's and unfortunately laptops can be a bit hit and miss.

You can go through Air Link setup tips on the meta support website;

https://www.meta.com/en-gb/help/quest/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-link/connect-with-air...

Also, go to your oculus debug tool, ODT (google how to do this).  Make sure all setting are defaults/zeros to begin with except Distortion low, bitrate encoding width 3664, bitrate 0, link sharpening enabled, mobile asw disabled.  You need to restart oculus runtime services to have changes take hold.

When you get into the Rift home, check that your air link bitrate is set to 100mbps dynamic to start off with (far left dashboard menu icon).  On the Oculus desktop app go to device graphics settings and use the recommended refresh rate and res slider position to begin with.

If you go though all this and still cannot connect properly then you may want to download the oculus desktop app again from the meta support website and run a Repair.  After that, restart everything and try connecting/pairing again.  Worse case, you may need to do a quest 2 factory reset and go through setup again.

If you still cannot connect, you may want to try using Virtual Desktop from the Quest store (google how to set this up).  Some with lower end pc's find it a little easier to setup and use.  Easy to get a refund if it doesn't help. 

You may also want to try using a Link cable.  I use the Kuject powered link cable I got from Amazon and it works very well.  it uses your Q2 charger/cable to help maintain your headset battery at about 80% for like forever.  Just make sure to fully charge your headset battery beforehand.  If you buy it from Amazon it's easy to return for a refund if it doesn't work well for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Separate-Charging-Ultra-Durable-Accessories/dp/B09TN25765?th=1

Hope this helps.  Good luck mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Hiya fredand44! Just checking in to see if you still need our help. If you are still having issues with having a black screen, feel free to reach out anytime! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Thanks for checking! 

Sorry, but I have been so occupided, I hope we get the time to try out tomorrow again.

Best regards 

Fredrik 

Hiya fredand44! We completely understand how busy one can get. No worries, take your time on doing this. If you do need us just hit us back up and we will happily help. 

Hey @fredand44, we're following up to see if you're still needing any assistance today!