cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen - look down

michaelcawood
Protege

I see lots of support for black screens on the Quest 2 but no-one talking about how my version seems to be related to looking down. I first noticed this in some PCVR games some time ago but lately it's happening in Quest 2 native games as well. Lots of games, even the main Quest lobby. I look down, then look up reasonably quickly and it blacks out for at least a second. The sound continues so it's obvious the app is still running. Long enough to get killed! Sometimes it just comes back on after a second. Sometimes you get nothing.

Pressing buttons on the controller does nothing, not even the oculus menu button. Using the power button rarely fixes it. You're often booting up again to a black screen, maybe the three white dots if you're lucky. I find that if you take off the headset and put it back on (triggering the sensor), if you're lucky it might come back to life but of course you get the guardian prompts. All very disruptive.

I'm developing a game and approaching important game demo opportunities, and this would be a killer for first impressions. An absolute must fix. Is anyone else noticing this?

2 REPLIES 2

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @michaelcawood! We hate to hear that your headset is displaying a black screen when it is being used. We know how having to deal with this affects your overall VR experience, and we're happy to help you with this issue!

Since it seems rebooting your headset did not help this issue, we would like to try resetting your device. Before performing the reset, please make sure that you have your cloud backup turned on for your headset so it is able to save the data for certain games. This feature is normally turned on automatically but it is best to make sure. To learn about cloud backups, please follow this link.

If you are having difficulty performing the reset through the device, we can provide you with this link with different steps on how to perform a reset for your headset.

If factory resetting your device does not resolve the black screen issue, we would be happy to look into this with you through our support page, where we will have more tools available to better assist you with this issue!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

michaelcawood
Protege

Unfortunately resetting the headset is all too often the suggested solution, and it's major headache. I've done it several times before and lost game save data. So it's not my first choice and probably highly risky in the short term, for a game developer. I'll explore other options if there are any before that.