cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen with 3 dots FIX (maybe) :/

Kyle979
Explorer

Hello, I had an issue with an infinite loading screen/black screen/3 loading dots while trying to connect to my pc via the link cable. After looking at EVERY youtube video and EVERY fix online, None of them worked so I tried some things that may be the issue for you too. Hope this helps 🙂

- FIX 1 (TASK MANAGER) - 

: MAKE SURE YOU ARE UPDATED TO THE NEWEST UPDATE ON YOUR QUEST 2 HEADSET!

: ONCE YOU HAVE UPDATED THE HEADSET PLUG YOUR HEADSET INTO YOUR PC AND CLICK THE LINK BUTTON INSIDE THE HEADSET TO CONNECT TO THE PC ALSO CHECK THE NOTIFICATIONS TAB ON THE OCULUS DESKTOP APP. IF IT SAYS "SORRY OCULUS LINK STOPPED WORKING" GO INTO TASK MANAGER AND CLOSE ALL THINGS REGARDING OCULUS. This may fix the infinite loading/3 dots. (Didn't work for me)

- FIX 2 (NVIDIA DRIVERS) -

: MAKE SURE YOU ARE UPDATED TO THE NEWEST NVIDIA DRIVERS (SAME GOES FOR AMD GPUS).

: FOR ME WITH THE NEW GRAPHICS DRIVERS HAD A HIDDEN ERROR THAT I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT. TO FIX THIS JUST GO INTO THE DRIVER PAGE ON THE APP AND PRESS THE 3 LITTLE DOTS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE APP IT SHOULD SAY "REINSTALL DRIVER" PRESS THAT AND LET IT DO ITS THING. (This fixed the problem for me.)

If the problem still happens . Contact Oculus/Meta support.  They will ask you to do some simple troubleshooting steps which will most probably not work. Then they will ask for a diagnostics of your pc with the oculus app to get more info to see if your pc has any errors which can cause the issue. 

If they can not find the problem they will ask for you to get an RMA which means they will ask for proof of purchase and the serial number of the unit. (This is a very long process as you will have to send them your old headset back and when they get the headset they will send you a new one.) (IT HAS TO BE UNDER WARRANTY TIME FRAME!)

5 REPLIES 5

MarkT46
Honored Guest

No one should have to do that. Why the quest 2 doesn't read the software is beyond me. These people ought to study computer programming first - before distributing hardware like quest 2 for the public. It's worked before, now it should work again. There is no reason for three dots to show. 

Nytevizion
Expert Protege

Well the last 50 times my unit experienced the 3 Dot link/airlink problem I had to reinstall the software from scratch. Just happened again yesterday. Reinstalled the software yesterday. Worked yesterday. Today, 3 dots again. Instead of going through the reinstall again I started playing with other things. I ended up disabling all the Windows Defender AntiVirus options and it works again.

Every single time I use this device, there is another issue to fix in order to get things going again. It's insanity.

Z690 Gaming X-13900K-7900XT-16GB-4200MHz-DDR4-AIO MSI MAG Liquid-Quest 2

Hey guys!

3 dots are getting in your way of having awesome VR experiences? Well this certainly just wont do! We wont stand for it. That's why we'll help make this a thing of the past and get you back in action, in no time flat!

Going into this, these 3 little dots, especially with link, usually translate into an internal error. For us to be able to see what's going on, we'll need to gather your log files. These files will allow us to take a ganger on the inside and see what may be causing this.

Here are the steps to gather your logs:

1.Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
2.Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
       *The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed Oculus Home to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
3.Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
4.Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
5.Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
6.The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop automatically.
7.Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.

Once you have those files, let's get you in touch with one our awesome agents here: https://metaque.st/Support. They have all the shiny tools needed to read the files and deduce any internal issues that may be lying in wait. Rest assured you'll be in awesome hands!

We'll see you on the other side!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

alex_tomkins
Honored Guest

I'm having the same issue. I cannot get my machine to seem to realise my headset is connected despite Oculus knowing it is. SteamVR and mixed reality not detecting headset

DGHOLLAND53
Honored Guest

i have an amd R9 290 200 Series but also got the 3 dots, my solutions were to go to C:Program File>Oculus>Support>Oculus-diagnostics and then OculusDebugTool.exe and at Encode Resolution Width type 1152 and launch your Oculus desktop app

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-fix-oculus-link-black-screen/

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?