cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought 2 headsets, do we need to buy games twice?

Huminator
Explorer

Hi all,

I’m new to VR and bought two oculus quest 2 headsets (one each for my wife and I). If we want to play the same games together, do I need to buy the same game twice, one for each headset?  I read online that there may be a way to log into the same account onto both headsets, and play the same game together such as table tennis (Eleven Table Tennis VR), but am hoping someone on this forum can help confirm or deny if this is possible?  Am hoping that we don’t need to buy the same games for each of us. If we do need to do so, that’d be a disappointment and I’ll likely return the 2nd headset. 

I haven’t opened up the 2nd headset yet, due to Best Buy’s return policy (can only accept returns on VR headsets if they are not opened).

thanks for your time. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

cnachevy
Honored Guest

I have 2 headsets and I put family share on the headset and log into a secondary account and log into the other with my account so we can play 2 player games and it has worked fine so far that way... beat saber add one do NOT currently share as they should just fyi before purchasing to share if you decide to

View solution in original post

Yes using the same account on 2 devices. I just added my wife’s account as a secondary account on my 1st device, and also enabled App Sharing on that headset as well. She just logged into her account on that 1st headset device and was able to access all the same games that I have on my account. I used the 2nd headset logged in using my primary account. 

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

kojack
MVP
MVP

If both headsets are set up with the same account (which is fine, you can have unlimited headsets on one account) then all games are shared and you only buy them once.

At least that's for single player games.

Multiplayer is a bit more varied. Some multiplayer games like Half+Half and Rec Room let the one account log in several times. Most others won't let you do that.

I don't know how Eleven Table Tennis VR handles it, I don't own that one.

There's also the potential issue of save progress and leaderboards. If both headsets are using one account, cloud based progress may be affected, and you wouldn't have separate leaderboards.

The Quest does now support account sharing, where you can log on to a headset using a second account. However I've never tried (it's against the Facebook rules for one person to make 2 accounts, and I don't want to get my account locked by testing sharing). I think that may work, but I really don't know, we'll need someone with experience at that kind of thing to answer.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

AX2012
Honored Guest

I have the same issue, we purchased 3 headsets to play as a family however we can't share purchased games.  I've asked chat support and 1 headset can have multiple accounts, it doesn't seem right that a family with multiple headsets can't do 1 purchase and link so everyone have access. 

Maybe if they create a family purchase account that can be linked to multiple headsets, even if the game costs a few more £ for multiple headset access.  I'm regretting buying 3 headsets that's £900 to then have to buy games multiple times to play as a family is ridiculous

Anonymous
Not applicable

I compare it with my playstore account for example with my phone.

I can download and install all my playstore apps to any mobile device i own linked to my playstore account but if my wife has the same phone but her own account then she cannot use my apps and would have to purchase them herself whether i already own them or not

So .. If your all linked to the same oculus \ facebook  account you should all have access to the same apps.

Being that the Quest works the same as any other mobile i just took it for granted thats the way it works.

are you saying each headset, both spouses, sign in with the same FB account? I'd like to know since my wife's quest 2 is arriving this week.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I upgraded to the Quest 2 and logged in to the same facebook account when asked.

I gave my wife my Quest 1 and we both have access to my stuff and both devices show in my account.. 
To me its no different than any other ordinary mobile account setup if your using multiple devices.

quest.png 

Huminator
Explorer

Thanks everyone for the information, really appreciate it. I’ll give it a go later today, and update here on how it performs for us. Fingers crossed it works!

Huminator
Explorer

Hi All, just as an update, we’ve just tried it out on the 2nd headset and were able to play a private game of mini golf on the Walkabout Mini Golf game! It works 🙂

Just for clarification, are you using the same account on two different devices?  In advance - Thanks!!!