cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 sensor distance and mounting

JeremyLaurenson
Explorer
I have attached my sensor to a wall about 8 feet from me sitting on a couch and the oculus setup complains that the sensor is not angled properly. If I take a step forward, all works.... But I can't move the wall... Or have my couch a foot away from the other wall..

The depth of the room is 11ft 2 inches and the depth of the couch is about 4 feet to the wall, so my seated position is going to be 8feet away horizontally. The standing calibration puts me about 7 feet away.

This seems kinda wrong, and certainly seems like room scale will not work with the current sensors....
16 REPLIES 16

JeremyLaurenson
Explorer
 Also tried with the lights out 🙂 

JeremyLaurenson
Explorer
 I just measured and the distance from my face to the sensor is 5'3"

JeremyLaurenson
Explorer
Mounting bracket extenders FTW. Now about 53 inches from my face when standing, or 75 inches seated back...and working. When it was further back, tracking was certainly off. You could almost see the VR world pulse slightly almost like the tracker was trying to focus.

5seick5p63bf.jpeghnci8dbd9pbi.jpegmk0hcjpqw6yk.jpeg

decalpha
Protege
I had a similar experience when trying to do 'room scale', but once touch arrives I'm sure that tracking will be able to use the additional sensor to help pinpoint the depth better so that we won't have to experience the 'focusing' phenomenon.

Blyss4226
Rising Star
That "pulsing" you describe is the Rift switching to it's IMU when the sensor loses you. The Rift can track you without the sensor, but it's much less accurate(and more nausea inducing).

But generally any time the VR world "Jumps" you've switched from one to the other. Unless you are describing something different.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe your sensor is mounted too high and it captures mostly the top of your head instead of the front?

JaRoD
Honored Guest
From what I've been able to find out max tracking distance seems to be 2.5 meters (about 8 feet) so room scale will be difficult even with 2 sensors 😞

JeremyLaurenson
Explorer
The sensor is mounted at top-of-door height. If I walk to it, it's about 2 inches above my head... Shouldn't be an issue.

My bet is new camera(s) for room scale for sure.. Disappointing For a 7x8ft area I am trying to use

My test right now is the ability to run The Rose and I and be able to walk around the mini planet. In order to do this I have to be in this configuration and seated experiences are just out of range...

JeremyLaurenson
Explorer
This video says 2 to 5 meters from you. My sensor is less than 2m away and not working... I'm going to open a case

see: http://youtu.be/LQe8W40Q1pg