cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I link my Quest 2 to the Oculus App on PC with a non-supported GPU for development in Unity?

kaidoestheshmoney
Honored Guest

I understand that the Oculus app for PC requires newer, more powerful GPUs in order to link the Quest 2 for PCVR games, however I need to link the Quest 2 to my PC for the purpose of development of a school project in Unity. I'm borrowing the Quest 2 from my school, so I didn't know that it would require such GPUs. 

From a couple tutorials I've watched, the easiest way to test a playable version of the project that I'm building in Unity is to link the Quest 2 to my PC via a link cable. I've already spent a bit of time setting up and developing my project in Unity, and now I'd like to test if the XR interaction and other elements in my project actually work with the headset. The problem is that my Quest 2 can't link to my PC app, because I have an older laptop with an outdated GPU(NVIDIA GeForce MX150), but my processor should be compatible(Intel Core i5-8250U[8th gen]). I don't actually want to link the Quest 2 to the PC app for any other reason than for my Unity to recognize/use the Quest 2 as the run device. From my understanding, the reason it only lets the Quest 2 pair with newer, more powerful GPUs is so that it can run PCVR games without any problems, but I only want to link it to test my Unity project. I think there is a way to build the project and then move it onto the Quest 2 without the need of a link cable, but that would waste time during production and I'm not totally sure how to do it.

Is there any way to link the Quest 2 to the Oculus app on PC just for the sake of development? If not, can anyone point me to any resources to bypass the Oculus app for PC and still be able to test my Unity project?

3 REPLIES 3

abiezawardhana
Honored Guest

Hi, do you get the answer for this? I encounter the same problem right now😥

Yeah I figured it out. So you still can develop and test builds through older PC’s. All you need is to download the Meta Quest Developer Hub. Through that, you can connect any Meta device to your computer and then build straight from Unity onto the device. Hope this helps🫡

Hi, Thank you for this. I have successfully download my program to Meta Quest Developer Hub and I'm able to run my program in my Oculus. You are a life saver.