cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Quest 2 movies picture quality be improved or adjusted?

taidoq2vr
Protege

Greetings:

I load some 1080p and 4k content to Quest 2 and the pictures quality is kinda very deceiving consider the Quest 2 resolution of each eye (1832 x 1920), I expect the quality must be at least similar to my old 50" 1080p plasma TV but it is not the case.  The picture color seems to be washed out and not as clear / neat as watching the same content on the TV.  For instance, I can see the actor skin texture clearly at close up on the TV but not on the Quest 2.  It looks like I watch through some kind of veil.  The 4k picture quality is even worse than watching 1080p.  Is this the best picture quality that we can get from Quest 2 or any other hi-end standalone headset or is there a way to improve it?

Your feedback and help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

taidoq2vr
Protege

Never mind and apology.  It's not the Occulus Quest hardware.  I find out that Occulus TV media player is the culprit and doesn't give credit to its own hardware.  After installing Skybox VR, 1080p image quality / clarity / sharpness is way better on a giant cinema like screen.   Almost what I have expected from an LCD display.    Anyway, pretty impress and just for this alone, I am reconsider my return for a refund.  

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

taidoq2vr
Protege

Never mind and apology.  It's not the Occulus Quest hardware.  I find out that Occulus TV media player is the culprit and doesn't give credit to its own hardware.  After installing Skybox VR, 1080p image quality / clarity / sharpness is way better on a giant cinema like screen.   Almost what I have expected from an LCD display.    Anyway, pretty impress and just for this alone, I am reconsider my return for a refund.  

Don't apologize. We spent money on this, why is it that the occulus media player is trash and 3rd party apps offer a significantly better experience?

Somebody needs to see this who's got the connection and pass it along to one of the developers for the OS and occulus Apps.

taidoq2vr
Protege

IMO, I don't feel comfortable to falsely accuse the hardware while it is a software issue which doesn't exploit the full potential of the hardware.  But good point never the less and thank you!  Also, I think Occulus developer may leave some room to 3rd developer so everyone can make some money.  😁

Deleted

rich039
Honored Guest

wow suberb question - i want to know the exact same thing - I just bought a quest 2, loaded a 4k movie and it looks real bad like maybe 480p on bigscreen, slightly better on skybox like 720p. the vid is native 4k and trying to get that quality or close to it in using a headset. now found out about sidequest where they increase res settings but i only interested in boosting movie playback quality and do not want to tinker with side quest. Also heard sidequest res settings only apply to the menus/vr room and does not apply to movie playback. I read the soultion hence trying skybox but still not good enough. I mean my tv play the movie in 4k nicely, all i am asking  is the same thing on oculust or even close or even 1080p but not what i ma getting which probably downscaling 4k to 360p yes.  i just vex i bought this headset to watch my 4k movies which not happening -  i could of just load this 4k movie onto my fat back tv form the 80's same thing. Am i missing a setting or configuration to get 4k. is the setting to boost movies really in side quest? thanks all for any help.

Sidequest res settings has always given me the same res in game as in home. However I don't think it will bring you much joy. If your only intent is to watch your 4K movie files and you have no interest in 3D or VR, I don't think the current state of VR is for you at all.  My Reverb G2, one of the highest native res HMD's, watching a 2D 4K file seems about equivalent to my 1080p TV.

With the screen so close to your eyes and being magnified with the fresnel lens is going to enable you to see every flaw and pixel. IMO awesome for watching 3D movies because the 3D gives the illusion of higher res, but there is no HMD that I know of that is going to look as clear as a 4K TV at a reasonable distance. 

Sorry to say, I think your expectations were too high for any current VR HMD if you were expecting to be able to see the pores in someone's face like you can on 4K and 8K TV's. 

IMO opinion the best 2D quality I've seen in the Quest and Quest 2 is from the Amazon Prime app. I would recommend trying that and if you don't find the image quality suitable, you may want to consider returning your HMD and waiting a bit. I'm sure one day we will get to the same perceived quality as a 4K TV, I don't think we are there yet.  Good luck.        

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

hey thanks for the info, it definitely helps me avoid digging up in side quest hoping it exists. great confirmation. i won't return but u are correct my expectation was high. the headset have a lot of other nice things going on for it other than no 4k playback. resident evil 4 was worth it being a RE fan. 

My S10 on gear vr produced far superior quality than the quest 2 for watching movies.  Deeply disappointed with the quest 2.

NewriderCalif
Honored Guest

Yes you can do Side Quest to change settings.  Look at some video on youtube so you can learn how to.