cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install OculusSoftware to PC

ShimaHonnou
Honored Guest

So, I've actually had a Quest 2 for a while (since 2021). Recently I noticed the old software wasn't updating anymore, and that my headset was a few versions behind, so I figured it was due to the brand change to Meta, Facebook, etc etc. I uninstalled the old version of the software, and then hit a major roadblock - for some reason, the new version won't install. It just hangs up in the task manager and I need to force it closed. All it does is produce an OculusSetup.log.

I've already tried a few things, CCleaner, run as admin, compatibility mode, etc, with no luck. So I figure I'll ask and see if anyone can help with this, or maybe link a mirror to older software that might still install and let me use the link cable and such at least.

4 REPLIES 4

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello there, @ShimaHonnou! We appreciate you letting us know about your trouble updating your Quest 2 to be compatible with your computer. We know how much of an inconvenience this causes and are happy to look into this further with you! 

One thing we can try is uninstalling and reinstalling the Oculus app on your desktop. To do so: 

1. Disconnect the Quest link cable from the computer
  2. Disconnect your computer from the internet
  3. Backup any necessary content
  4. Reboot into Safe Mode
  5. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel
  6. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
    • C:\Program Files
  7. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
  8. Restart your computer in normal mode
  9. Reconnect your computer to the internet
  10. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here
  11. Reconnect the Quest link cable and re-test the headset

After that, so we can look into this further and look into your logs for your computer, could you please follow this link to reach out to our us on our support page? When you are creating your ticket, please follow this link to add your logs to your computer. 

Once you submit your ticket, we will be able to look further into this with you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Removing those folders changed nothing, .exe still not opening properly.

Thanks for getting back to us with that update! We're saddened to see you're still having troubles launching the PC app. Our team would love to take a closer look into this for you, we'll just need to review you PC logs.  Here's how you can gather your logs to send over to our support team:

1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
  2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
    1. The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed the Oculus PC app to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
  3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
  4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
  5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
  6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop.
  7. Attach the newly created zip file to your support ticket.
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Did you get it working?

Same issue but fresh install