cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't pair with Headset. Tried everything.

Daeyvis
Honored Guest

Just got my headset back for the 7th time in as many months and try to pair it and It finds the headset but after entering the code it gives the 'Unable to connect' error. Looked online and tried all standard solutions but even a factory reset did nothing. This is my last attempt to enjoy this thing.

16 REPLIES 16

Charmeds
Expert Protege

Remove it from both the phone app and the computer. I first set them up with the phone and added them there and then added them to the PC app. Connecting them to the computer first causes exactly this problem. That's how I got better, but I struggled a lot until I found out how they get out of the phone slot and I don't remember how it's done anymore, but that solved the problem for me. If it is first connected to a computer, some conflict occurs for some unknown reason.

I hadn't even tried to connect to the computer as I first need the controllers to work.

Charmeds
Expert Protege

One moment. Can't pair the helmet with the phone or the helmet with the controllers? If I remember correctly, you don't need codes to use the controllers. The problem may be in the phone you are using. Try another one. Actually, it is only needed for the first setup and then you can delete the application if you want.

PS:

I removed the fuse for the controllers, right? If I remember correctly here it is like on Oculus Rift where you just hold down B and the bottom button with the logo for one and Y and the bottom with the features of the other to enter pairing mode.

Hello @Daeyvis! We can imagine you are tired of setup issues and we believe we have the solution for you. To complete the setup you will need to use the gaze function and the headset volume and power buttons to complete the setup. Here's a step-by-step list to complete this.

To set up your replacement Quest headset, please follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the headset power button until the display turns on.
  2. Wait for the initial setup to complete.
  3. Once complete, you will be prompted to pair your controllers. In VR, you will be asked to remove the pull tabs, or it will state that the controllers are not found. This is because the controllers do not come with the headset replacement. You will need to use the gaze function to complete setup.
  4. To use the gaze function, put on the headset and move your head to navigate in VR. To select prompts in VR, use the headset volume and power buttons.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process. This will include setting up your account, downloading any necessary updates, and configuring your preferences.
  6. Once the setup is complete, you can start using your headset with the controllers.

If you have further questions or encounter issues during the set-up process, please let us know.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

This sounds promising! But how do I get past the first screen with the 5 digit code for pairing?

Hey again @Daeyvis! Lets try a factory reset and it should clear out the code for you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Sadly I've already done that but even after a factory reset the code remains. I believe the initial pairing (and the code) are part of the factory setting. Or am I incorrect?

Yes you are right. However, we do have steps to execute when seeing the pairing code. Give these a try:

1. Open the Meta Quest mobile app on a compatible mobile device. If the mobile app hasn't been installed already, it can download using the links below:
  2. After opening the Meta Quest mobile app, if not already setup, continue the setup process which includes:
    • Signing into a Meta account
    • Setting up a VR profile
    • Adjusting preferences and privacy settings
    • Creating a store PIN
    • Adding payment information

3. Once the account setup steps listed above are completed, the app may prompt to select a headset. If not prompted automatically, go to Menu > Devices on the mobile app. Select the headset.
    • If the headset isn't listed, make sure that the mobile device has Bluetooth turned on. If the headset still does not appear, uninstall and then re-install the Meta Quest mobile app.

4. On the next screen, tap Pair. The headset will either pair automatically or ask for the pairing code that was displayed in the headset.

5. After the headset is paired, tap Wi-Fi or Controller Issues? and select the issue that you're having.

6. Follow the remaining steps displayed in the Meta Quest mobile app to resolve the issue.

This might be the resolution you need! Please get back to us after you give this a try.

I've reinstalled the meta app again and I don't understand why that would make the Headset appear in the app only if it would be a bug in de app itself with a bluetooth developer kit I just downloaded I looked at if I could reach the headset with basic bluetooth functionality, which I can. I can connect to it just fine but I can't bond with it (get it to authorize the connection, which normally is inputting the code, I believe). If I use a hard reboot under the boot options it says "Lock state: Locked", which might have something to do with it. I dont know.

But in conclusion, I've tried the steps but I can't get it to be listed under Menu > Devices. It just says 'Connect a new device' as it always does. I've never seen devices listed in the app before they were paired. Currently I'm downloading the Meta Quest Developer Hub app to try my luck bypassing the pairing stage of the setup.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?