cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't reach oculus service

beep.or.boop
Honored Guest

I just purchased a Quest 2, and the Meta branded VR Link Cable. I downloaded the Oculus App and installed it seemingly well, but when it tried to open I constantly am stuck at the error that it can't reach oculus service. I tried repairing it several times, starting as admin and restarting my PC. Nothing has worked.

4 REPLIES 4

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @beep.or.boop! There's a lot of sweet content to unravel behind the doors of PCVR that we definitely wouldn't want you to miss out on! We'd love to lend you a hand.

If you're receiving the Oculus App Status - Can't reach Oculus service error, the most likely possibility is that the Oculus VR Runtime Service isn't running in the Microsoft Services console. For fixing this specific error, we generally recommend the following:

1. Ensure that the Windows local user account name does not contain special Unicode characters (For example:  / \ [ ] : ; | = , + * ? < >)
  2. Check and stop the Oculus VR Runtime Service
    1. Open the Microsoft Services Console (start - search - services.msc)
    2. Verify the Oculus VR Runtime Service status is not running (Right click - Stop)
    3. Verify the Oculus VR Runtime Service Startup type is Automatic (no delayed start)
    4. If the service startup type is not showing Automatic: Right click “Oculus VR Runtime Service,” Select “Properties,” change Startup Type to “Automatic
    5. Find and delete this folder:
      • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Oculus\sessions
    6. Delete the contents of these folders:
      • C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Downloads
      • C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\tmp
    7. Start the Oculus VR Runtime Service from services.msc

Let us know how that worked out for you, and we'll see what else we can do to help!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I completed all of the steps you replied with, and I am still getting the Can't Reach Oculus Service error.

Hey there @beep.or.boop, thank you for letting us know, we would like to request you reach out to us directly from our Profile Page. From there, we would love to review any extra steps we can provide to hopefully solve this! We look forward to hearing from you soon.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hi there, we wanted to follow up with you to see if you still need help with your Quest 2. Let us know; we are here to help!

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?