I sent off a broken Quest 2 on Tuesday, and the refurbished replacement arrived on Saturday. That's pretty great service!
But now I'm stuck. The Q2 gets to the "remove the tabs from your controllers" screen - but won't detect my controllers.
Replacing the batteries in the controllers
Leaving the batteries out for 30 minutes
Holding down the Oculus button + B
Factory resetting the Q2 using Volume Down + Power
Nothing works. And because I can't get past that screen, I can't pair the Android app with the HMD. I've tried:
Restarting my phone
Uninstalling and reinstalling the app
Nothing works. The Android app asking for the pairing PIN, accepts it, then displays an error message.
When I did the RMA, I was told to only send back the HMD - not the controllers. But it seems there's no way to pair a Q2 with controllers which were previously assigned to a different Quest.
Now I'm stuck and Oculus support is suggesting I RMA the controllers!
Is there any way to pair the controllers? Or pair my phone with a Quest 2 which hasn't got any controllers?
So, I switched to my laptop and used a straight USB-C to USB-C cord (same one that came with the headset) and it recognized the headset. I ran "./adb sideload update.zip" (I had the update.zip file in the same directory as the ABD0
The powershell window indicated that it was loading until it hit 47 or 48% before saying "Total xfer 1.00x", which I understand through some searching is not a failure but rather a quirk of the software.
Then the device makes a boot noise, but nothing happens and it seems to go back to the 'pair controller' screen.
I went through the directions, and it failed. I uninstalled the app from my mobile device and powered the headset off for the night. I got up the following day, reinstalled the app, and then turned the headset back on. It was still unable to connect. As I was taking the headset off in defeat, the app said, "Connected." It worked. The solution worked. Thank you, Monk7, for finding the answer, and thanks to Terence for the walk-through.
On a side note, the "customer support" person said their engineers were working on it, and they'll let us know when it is resolved. I can only imagine the amount of bricked headsets out there. They will not look good in sales if this news comes to light. I am a programmer, and something of this magnitude would be all hands on deck and resolved within 24 hours, or start looking for a new job.