cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use a referral link after using a trial version of a game

Fluke
Heroic Explorer

I download and tried a trial version of a game, decided I liked it. However, trying to use a friends discount referral link doesn't work, as it seems that Meta's system thinks I already own the game if I try to use the referral.

Anyone know if there's a workaround (uninstalling the app doesn't help), or if it's possible to get an app manually removed from your account?

Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fluke
Heroic Explorer

Just after a follow up for anyone reading, support can't do anything about it as they're unable to unlink an app from your account (I spent half an hour on live chat earlier while the agent did their best to help me).

The solution seems to be a pre-emptive one - do not use trial versions of a game that you're thinking of buying with a referral code. Just buy the game using a referral code instead and refund it if you don't like it. You'll also get more time to try a game that way (up to 2 hours) before deciding whether to refund it. The 2 trial apps I tried only had a 15 and 30 minute time limit, which makes buying with the potential of refunding a better option for testing a game to see if you like it.

edit - Since posting this, it seems support might now be able to remove items from your account, so that could now be an option. However, I still think the better option (if you don't mind doing it) is to just buy a game, try it, and refund it if you don't like it. You get a 2 hour trial period that way - just don't go over it.

Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Fluke
Heroic Explorer

Just after a follow up for anyone reading, support can't do anything about it as they're unable to unlink an app from your account (I spent half an hour on live chat earlier while the agent did their best to help me).

The solution seems to be a pre-emptive one - do not use trial versions of a game that you're thinking of buying with a referral code. Just buy the game using a referral code instead and refund it if you don't like it. You'll also get more time to try a game that way (up to 2 hours) before deciding whether to refund it. The 2 trial apps I tried only had a 15 and 30 minute time limit, which makes buying with the potential of refunding a better option for testing a game to see if you like it.

edit - Since posting this, it seems support might now be able to remove items from your account, so that could now be an option. However, I still think the better option (if you don't mind doing it) is to just buy a game, try it, and refund it if you don't like it. You get a 2 hour trial period that way - just don't go over it.

Thanks for letting us know what happened, as I just run into exact the same issue and you saved me a lot of time going through that process.I guess I will have to wait for a sale on the game instead of the referral discount.

But it's just annoying that there is no way to unlink content from your account. I have a bounce of demo content that I don't like seeing in my library even if uninstalled.

AusKyle
Honored Guest

Thanks for saving me the hassle of trying to fix this - I just ran into the same issue.

Frustrating that basic bugs like this seem to keep popping up on the quest 2 😑

Thanks for this, pretty stupid they can’t figure out a way around trials without linking it to accounts 

Toomsy
Explorer

Thanks for letting us know about this. I have just run in to the same problem. So it looks like now I have to wait for the sale on the game. 

Thanks for the info.

Seems very strange to me, if the system thinks you already own the game/app then what difference would it make whether you use a referral or not?! 

mmotest
Honored Guest

Exact same issue here 😞

Couldnt decide between pistol whip or zombieland... Tried them both now cant use either of the 25% off refferals 😞

Hey there, @mmotest! We see that you are having trouble with the 25% referral for one of the games you wish to purchase. We understand how this can be an inconvenience. and we're happy to help you with it!

Whenever a game is downloaded as a free trial, the account will recognize it as a game that is already owned. You will need to uninstall the game from your headset and remove it from your account. After that, you should be able to use the 25% code for the game.  

Please let us know if this is able to assist you with using the 25% deal!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hi

please can you explain how to do this? I have uninstalled the game but there does not seem to be any way to remove it from the account? It shows it as being an option to re-download. 

thanks