cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot cast from Quest 2 to Chromecast Ultra over ethernet

bmiller007
Level 2

I have a home network with a single router connected to 3 devices:  a Chromecast Ultra over ethernet, a Quest 2 over 5GHz WiFi, and a laptop over 5GHz WiFi.  Everything is on the same network (192.168.1.x).  I can cast a Chrome browser tab from the laptop to the Chromecast Ultra just fine:  Chrome discovers the Chromecast Ultra as a valid casting sink, and the resulting casting session works perfectly.  However, casting does NOT work from the similarly-connected Quest 2, which cannot even discover the Chromecast Ultra as a casting sink.  Instead, I have to disconnect the Chromecast Ultra from ethernet and reconnect it using 5GHz WiFi, and only then will the Quest 2 discover and cast to it.  This defeats a key feature of the Chromecast Ultra (in that it supports ethernet specifically for improved performance).  The fact that this casting topology works fine from the wireless laptop proves the problem is with the Quest 2.  Has anyone gotten ethernet-based casting to work on the Quest 2?

3 REPLIES 3

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, we see your concerns in regards to having casting issues with your Quest 2 and Chromecast Ultra. Have you tried to use the Airlink option? Meta Quest Air Link allows you to wirelessly connect your Meta Quest Pro or Meta Quest 2 to your PC using a secure Wi-Fi network. Check out this link, where it tells you more about how to connect your Quest 2 to your PC through Airlink. Let us know how it goes. If you still need help, click here for further assistance.

Thanks for the suggestion!  Unfortunately that won’t accomplish my goal, which is to use the big-screen TV in my living room to share VR experiences with friends. My PC is located too far away in my house to be useful for this. I bought a Chromecast Ultra specifically for this purpose, but its performance is limited by Quest’s inability to discover and connect to it over ethernet. 

We do understand your concern. It seems like this is something our software doesn't support yet. You can always suggest your ideas to let our engineers and developers know through our ideas forums, where they look for features that may come out in the future. Check it out here.