cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmed working PCIe type-C cards for Quest 2

Horis0nten
Protege
Since a lot of users are reporting issues with both battery drainage and performance issues related to bandwidth when connecting the Quest 2 to a vareity of type-C ports, I thought it'd be a good idea to share what Type-C PCIe cards actually meets the following criterias:

1. Is able to keep the Quest 2 fully powered during long and demanding PCVR sessions. (At least not drain the battery instead of keeping it at a certain charge). Ps. ONLY DURING PCVR, not for keeping the Quest 2 charged when using it standalone.

2. Provides enough bandwidth to ensure a stutter free experience.

NOTE: This thread is only about listing sufficient Type-C PCIe cards. If your experience is bad because of not powerful enough graphics cards or if you're using a Type A usb connector, then that is issues for another thread.

Please share what PCIe card you have tested and can assure meets the criterias above, so that more Quest 2 owners can acheive a better PCVR experience.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The_1st_Dark_Lord_Morgoth
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hey guys! This thread seems pretty old, so I'll be going ahead and locking. If anyone would like to continue the conversation, there seems to be another thread about this topic here

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The force shall free me.

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

lensmandave
Superstar
This is working great for me. Quest battery drains to 80% then stays at that percentage indefinitely.

StarTech.com PCIe USB 3.1 Card - 2x USB C 3.1 Gen 2 10Gbps - PCIe Gen 3 x4 - ASM3142 Chipset - USB Type C PCI Express Card (PEXUSB312C3)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087G7T234/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I’m using the same StarTech card as above, and it performs the same for me—it lets the Quest deplete to 80% and then keeps it there. If I start with a low battery, sometimes it charges up (to 80%) while playing over Link, but sometimes it maintains the battery at a constant level without increasing the charge. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Horis0nten
Protege
Great, the reviews are not great concerning the drivers for Windows 10. Have you had any driver issues? Are both of you connecting it with the SATA connector? Is it even optional?

lensmandave
Superstar
You don't need to install drivers, Windows just does the business. No issues for me. SATA connector is optional but it would seem counter productive not to use it.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Horis0nten
Protege
All right perfect ? Just ordered one. I hope that it will finally solve my issues. Do you have yours in a Gen 3 pcie slot? I only have an 4X gen 2 available... But according to the Startech spec that would still give me the max 5Gbps that Oculus recommends...

lensmandave
Superstar
Yep, Gen 3 on my MB

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, a 4x PCIe slot is fine, and i don't think gen 3 vs gen 2 matters here, it's still more throughput than Link can use.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Horis0nten
Protege
Okay ? I'll have a couple of days to think about it ? Either I'll run my rtx2060 on x8 3.0 and the Startech on the next x8 3.0. Or I'll keep my gpu on the current 16x 3.0 and put the Startech on x4 2.0...
It seems like the rtx2060 is not powerful enough to saturate a x8 3.0 lane. So I shouldn't get a performance hit in theory...

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I have a PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) Type A+Type C Expansion Card Asmedia Chipset for Windows 7 /8/8.1/10/Linux Kernel (Type A+Type C)

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B074QK68XS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While this card works fine, it really does not seem to perform any better than with my Asus Maximus xi Hero motherboard's usb3.1 gen2 type c port.  Both work fine with my Quest 1 (now on v23) and both maintain my Q1 battery levels reasonably well   Depending on the app I end up losing ~10% charge per hour of use (and yes, it will eventually go below 80%).  This is completely manageable for me.

If I had to do it again I would have bought the Startech card mentioned by OP's and used a power connector to my pc power supply (the card I bought does not have this capability).

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on.  Cheers.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?