cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Oculus to PC to upload files

SDM-Oculus
Protege

Good morning everyone,
this morning I connected the oculus to the pc with a usb-c cable as other times and I was able to access it correctly from the pc and copy videos into the oculus to be able to see them with Meta Quest Tv.
Then I disconnected it and the next time I reconnect I am no longer asked in the oculus if I want to share the device. It is correctly charging but is not found among the connected devices. I have already restarted both oculus and pc, used the Meta charge cable, tried on another pc but always loads the oculus but I am not asked to share.
How can I solve or otherwise upload a file to the oculus?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rrogue2268
Honored Guest

Oh buddy. You won't believe me but not 1 hour after writing you...I found the resolution. Since then, I have been writing back and forth with Meta support and they are actively working on this issue! I'm gonna go over it with you here and it will be up to you if you want to try it or let it go. 

Whether you remember or not, there IS A dialogue box that comes up in your headset that asks if you will allow the connection. And you can choose Approve, Deny or Deny and Hide dialogue. We have discussed that.  What we haven't discussed is: if you sign up to become a developer on developer.occulus.com and once you are done, reset your headset, when you go back into your system settings there will be a "developer" option that you can now pick. In there, there is a toggle to turn the USB dialogue box back on. It worked immediately for me and...after one year of not having the option...I was overjoyed! It costs nothing to sign up to be a developer...it takes 2 minutes tops and IT WILL fix this issue. 

Lastly, like I said, I have been in contact with Meta and they are working to resolve this by moving this USB dialogue box out of the developer setting and to where an everyday user can access it. Tried to find you immediately after I found the fix but lost you. SO GLAD you wrote back. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RoastPork
Retired Support

Hey there! Interesting how it was working and then suddenly didn't. I'd suggest reaching out to @MetaQuestSupport . You can PM them here on the forum or contact them by email and chat HERE. You could also try other USB C cables or if you have a Meta Link cable, try that. Lemme know if you have any other questions!

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

I contacted @OculusSupport but he suggested that I check that the pc was up to date and other suggestions. I have done everything even now the Oculus does not ask me for permission to have a device access the files in the oculus. I confirm that it is not a problem of the pc because by connecting, with the same cable, another 2 oculus the confirmation message is displayed correctly. So it's definitely an Oculus problem but I don't know how to fix it as I can't see any confirmation message. The strange thing is that the Oculus is still in charge when it is connected to the PC.

SDM-Oculus
Protege

@OculusSupport suggestion is to clear all data and do a factory reset.

Is there any test you think I can do before I get to this step?

drogue665
Explorer

I don't know if you received a reply yet from anyone at Meta but I'm going to tell you I had the same issue in the spring of 2022 and not only am I NOWHERE NEAR SATISFIED with Meta's response...It has yet to be resolved.  The simple fact is that dialogue box that pops up and asks if you will allow the connection to your computer had three options "yes" "NO" and "Hide dialogue box". Like me, you mustve accidently clicked between the yes and the Hide.  The problem is...No one at occulus ever thought to work in a way to turn that dialogue box back on.  Kind of like the clock that you cannot reset if you accidently set it to the wrong time zone during installation.  I've asked Meta time and time and time again to fix this!  I have told meta THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of people have had this issue.  Their response has been to tell me that My computer is too old for their "link" option.  I DON'T CARE ABOUT LINK! USB2 is universal and my 12 year old windows 7 computer was working with my quest 2 flawlessly since I bought the headset it in 2021! I NEVER HAD AN ISSUE! I just needed a way to turn the dialogue box back on! NOTHING...JUST CRICKETS FROM THESE MORONS!  I had a work around that did help for a short period of time.  I added my 2nd Facebook account to my headset, linked all my apps to it and therefore got a brand new load with the dialogue box still up and running...However since the beginning of this year (2023), my guess would be during the switchover from Occulus to a Meta Portal or whatever that big update was about, this dialogue box is gone from my backup account as well.  My guess is these Meta geniuses have decided if they can't fix it, they are just going to delete the option altogether. (like killing the patient to cure the illness) And if you don't get their "link" app.. You are out of luck.  Absolutely ridiculous.  I'm still furious.  I picked up apps to watch movies on big screens, listen to music in 3d light shows...all useless now because these idiots couldn't solve a simple problem . Ya wonder why Meta is tanking?  

No unfortunately no helpful answer. For now I no longer need this option but if one day I need it again I resigned myself to resetting the whole oculus. I don't remember the "Hide dialogue box" option. It would be enough to add a message in the settings to restore the option.

rrogue2268
Honored Guest

Oh buddy. You won't believe me but not 1 hour after writing you...I found the resolution. Since then, I have been writing back and forth with Meta support and they are actively working on this issue! I'm gonna go over it with you here and it will be up to you if you want to try it or let it go. 

Whether you remember or not, there IS A dialogue box that comes up in your headset that asks if you will allow the connection. And you can choose Approve, Deny or Deny and Hide dialogue. We have discussed that.  What we haven't discussed is: if you sign up to become a developer on developer.occulus.com and once you are done, reset your headset, when you go back into your system settings there will be a "developer" option that you can now pick. In there, there is a toggle to turn the USB dialogue box back on. It worked immediately for me and...after one year of not having the option...I was overjoyed! It costs nothing to sign up to be a developer...it takes 2 minutes tops and IT WILL fix this issue. 

Lastly, like I said, I have been in contact with Meta and they are working to resolve this by moving this USB dialogue box out of the developer setting and to where an everyday user can access it. Tried to find you immediately after I found the fix but lost you. SO GLAD you wrote back. 

rrogue2268
Honored Guest

One last. When I first wrote you I wrote under Rogue665. I had 2 accounts active on that headset as a work around and somehow...I wrote you back from the second account...which is this one. I will be killing this rogue2268 account now it is no longer needed so read what I wrote but don't respond here. It's going bye bye. 

I'm very happy, I'll try it right away! Thanks and I'll let you know if I can fix it too! In the meantime, have a nice day!

SDM-Oculus
Protege

It worked! Thank you!!! I went to developer.oculus.com and logged in. After that I restarted the oculus. Once restarted I went to Settings > System > Developer and as you told me I activated the dialog when connecting via USB. They should move it to the normal options, if you hadn't given me this suggestion to become a developer I would have had to reset the whole oculus. Thank you again!