cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Wifi droppings on Q3 v63 [UPDATE] back at v64

h.r.gargi
Rising Star

I got the latest v63 a view days ago and hat now problems with my wifi connection. Since yesterday it started to drop my from my wifi router every 5 to 10 minutes. I got two access points and on both the same problem.
But I got 2 other Quest 3 with the v62 firmware and there is no problem. I don't know if the Quest 3 wifi adapter is out of order or there has been a small update causing this. I also did a factory reset without any success. It also lost wifi connection after the reset while setting up the device.

[UPDATE]
The problem disappeared 2 days after starting with the new v63. Now almost a month later I got the v64 and it startet yesterday again. Every 10 minutes my Quest 3 devices are losing Wifi connection for 2 seconds.

hrgargi_0-1713423096343.png

I have 2 Quest Pros in the same network and they don't have that problem. 

Router: AVM FritzBox 6490 Cable
ISP Vodafone Germany

Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the information, @h.r.gargi! I'll go ahead and update the team on it. Last I heard from the team, they've confirmed the issue with users reported information, and are now beginning on working towards a fix. Hopefully I'll have more to share soon! I recommend subscribing to the main thread I linked previously, so that you're informed on any updates that I post in the future. Thanks for your patience!

To help keep all the reports in one place for the team, I'm going to go ahead with locking this thread. For anyone else running into connection issues with their Quest 3, please visit our on-going thread here!

Technology, at a certain level of sophistication, is indistinguishable from magic. - some wise guy or something probably

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @h.r.gargi! It seems like you're having trouble connecting your Quest 3 to the Wi-Fi after the recent update! Our suggestion is to turn off the dual-band feature on your router, so that the headset can be on the same channel. Feel free to reach out if you have any queries!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @h.r.gargi! We were just checking in with you to see if you still needed help! Let us know if you have any questions? 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Dude, what does this even mean? 

A 2.4GHz "band" is approximately 100MHz "wide", each "channel" spanning approx 20MHz.  True to say that close channels overlap, (1 and 2 for example), but typically you'll find devices running on 1, 6, and 11 because they're clear channels that tend not to overlap, as they are spread farther apart. 

A 5GHz "band" is much wider, and designed for domestic use, thus allowing for closer channels to be used, because they do not overlap (46, and 48 for example), however in terms of range, does not extend nearly as "far" as a 2.4GHz band.

But what in the everloving eff does any of this have to do with the update from 62 to 63?  Did your system just suddenly stop recognizing the difference in bands?  I would think not since that's entirely physically dependant on which "frequency" it's tuned into, and wouldn't actually interfere with each other... So what does "so the headset can be on the same channel" mean? 

And what if they aren't using a "router"?  What if they have an access point with individual broadcast SSID's, one for 2.4 and the other for 5GHz?  I suppose the device will have an easier time discovering the best "channel" to use? I should think not, considering that the channels between the 2 different bands are so far apart, that when the device "tunes in" to any channel on the 2.4GHz spectrum, it certainly cannot even listen to 5GHz channels as the bands don't actually overlap.... At all.  That's like saying to turn off all of the AM radio broadcasts in the world so your FM stereo can tune in to a station "more easily".

So, how about this?  Was there some sort of patch in the 63 update that lead to an extremely long buffering time frame in the data stream received by the device for pretty much anything riding over TCP?  Because I have the same issue, and I notice that when I'm loading, for example 3 web pages simultaneously, every 5 minutes or so, a "burst" of speed returns to the device and all 3 pages load in at once...

(suppose you'll respond telling me it's best practice to load one page at a time) 

TheLegend27
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hey @jikeidan! I don't quite have enough information to be able to accurately say whether or not TCP data streams are experiencing any inherent issues with Quest devices specifically. For standalone headset use, any general use band should work perfectly fine (2.4, 5, 6+GHz)—the channel can usually be left to be automatically assigned by the router, unless you're doing optimization for PCVR.

We're currently working on collecting more information for our engineering team to improve the wi-fi experience overall for Quest devices. I highly recommend taking a look at our thread here, and commenting the info I requested from users in the accepted solution so that I can bring these reports to the team.

Technology, at a certain level of sophistication, is indistinguishable from magic. - some wise guy or something probably

h.r.gargi
Rising Star

The problem disappeared 2 days after starting with the new v63. Now almost a month later I got the v64 and it startet yesterday again. Every 10 minutes my Quest 3 devices are losing Wifi connection for 2 seconds. I have 2 Quest Pros in the same network and they don't have that problem. 

Router: AVM FritzBox 6490 Cable
ISP Vodafone Germany

hrgargi_0-1713422659863.png

Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse

The problem persits with v64 now.

Thanks for the information, @h.r.gargi! I'll go ahead and update the team on it. Last I heard from the team, they've confirmed the issue with users reported information, and are now beginning on working towards a fix. Hopefully I'll have more to share soon! I recommend subscribing to the main thread I linked previously, so that you're informed on any updates that I post in the future. Thanks for your patience!

To help keep all the reports in one place for the team, I'm going to go ahead with locking this thread. For anyone else running into connection issues with their Quest 3, please visit our on-going thread here!

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?