cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link Airbridge suddenly unable to obtain the IP address

drodo1984
Explorer

I've had the D-Link Airbridge since late October and so far it has worked pretty well with my Meta Quest 2 visor and desktop PC. Most of the time the connection is solid and can reach several rooms over with minimal lag. Intermittently and inexplicably, though, I've had periods where attempting the connection produces an issue with the visor saying it is "obtaining IP address" infinitely until I request the connection to be forgotten. Until recently this could be fixed by doing a factory reset or rebooting the PC and the visor. This fix stopped working on 1/11/23. I've gone through every step of troubleshooting guide on Meta, made sure connection sharing is not on, added all of the oculus folders/files to exception list on Windows 10 firewall and Bitdefender, and even completely turned these software off completely without any change in the results. I've also contacted the manufactured and was directed to contact Meta but have yet to get a response from their support team. I'd like to know if anyone else is encountering this issue, especially if  around a similar time, or been able to find a fix for this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

drodo1984
Explorer

After nearly 2 months, I finally have a solution. Meta support had a look at my logs and found that the desktop had a VPN running. HOWEVER, I did not have a VPN turned on. I double checked even the Bitdefender VPN which it said was off. This is untrue. Apparently some portion of the Bitdefender VPN is ALWAYS on. That portion was blocking the connection. I had to uninstall it. Just the VPN software from Bitdefender. I even had everything else on and in default, including Nvidia Experience, Bitfender's other software, Windows Firewall. I hope this helps somebody.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @drodo1984! We can definitely understand your concerns regarding this issue with your D-Link Airbridge, being stuck on "Obtaining IP address" definitely sounds like an inconvenience. We'd recommend reaching out to us through our support site so that we can take a look at your logs and see what we can learn. You can do this by visiting this link, then opening a live chat, email ticket, or whatsapp chat. We'll be looking forward to hearing from you! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

drodo1984
Explorer

To Meta support staff,

You all were on the ball with trying to address this issue until after January 29th. At that point you said you were still working on the issues and would send at least a response to let me know the problem was still being looked into. It is almost a month later and you have failed to respond to my email on 2/15/23. I'm not sure what else to do here and have had no luck finding further support for the d-link air bridge. D-Link's support is simply a link now to Meta's basic support. I guess I am calling you out now because I'm all out of options and its been 2 more big updates later without any hint of a change. I should also note that the issue is not present on my laptop. The Airbridge has no issues there despite same version of BitDefender, NVIDIA Drivers, and Windows. I didn't even have to adjust settings on my firewall or BitDefender. Plug it in, let it install drivers. It just works. Not sure why this stopped being the case for the PC. Someone throw me a bone here.

Hey @drodo1984. Thanks for reaching back out here. We know how important it is to get your AirBridge working, and we are sorry that it has been taking so long to get a response on how this issue will be resolved. We don't want to take you away from VR, any more than you've already been. 

Would you mind providing your ticket number so we can take a look at what's been going on with your interaction with our support team? 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Sure: 6636552

Hey there, @drodo1984! Thanks so much for that ticket number. We see that you've sent a message over to the agent asking for an update. Not to worry. We'll leave a reminder for them to provide you with an update on the issue. We strongly recommend continuing with this agent, as they will be the best source of information. We hope this will be helpful to you in getting this issue resolved!

drodo1984
Explorer

After nearly 2 months, I finally have a solution. Meta support had a look at my logs and found that the desktop had a VPN running. HOWEVER, I did not have a VPN turned on. I double checked even the Bitdefender VPN which it said was off. This is untrue. Apparently some portion of the Bitdefender VPN is ALWAYS on. That portion was blocking the connection. I had to uninstall it. Just the VPN software from Bitdefender. I even had everything else on and in default, including Nvidia Experience, Bitfender's other software, Windows Firewall. I hope this helps somebody.

That's awesome, hopefully someone can use this if they come across it! 🙂

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

Exius86
Expert Protege

Faced this issue too, and as I found out in the Internet - it's pretty massive, alot of people are facing it. It only works well the very first time you set up the AirBridge. After restarting the PC the problems start to occur. My AirBridge won't give an IP adress (regardless of the Windows Defender turned on or off) unless I share an Internet to it despite what the official troubleshooting guide says. So it only works with internet connection. Otherwise it won;t give the headset an IP address, while both router or laptop's mobile hotspot do this without any problem (so, it's not a firewall issue).