cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead and Buried developers - incompetent or indifferent?

Cavediver
Protege
I just spent 20 minutes on a Sunday afternoon trying to get into a 4 player Dead and Buried game.  Lots of rooms with 2 or 3 people... who knows how many hundreds or thousands of folks trying to get a game... and the matching system simply... does... not... work.

We've all experienced it, many folks have commented on it and it's still a mess.  

So here's the poll: are the devs unable to solve the problem?  Or do they simply not care?
79 REPLIES 79

loregnum
Adventurer
I have tried to played with others 3 times and only once did it work. 

They really need to add bots to the game.

elboffor
Consultant
hmmm

OP - incompetent or indifferent?

Where's the poll dude?

I do totally agree that the matchmaking sucks.
Why is there not a single game (that ive played at least) have a server browser? the neasrest thing I've see is bigscreen!
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

falken76
Expert Consultant
It is weird that they don't have matchmaking that has been around since the 90s.  Finding people to play in multiplayer games on rift leaves MUCH to be desired.

elboffor
Consultant
a simple chat option where you can ask your online friends if they fancy a game of something before plunging in and blindly inviting them would help really
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

matskatsaba
Adventurer
The oculus community isn`t as big as some people imagine.
Matchmaking isn't exactly easily done on a "platform" that has very limited userbase, and this game is from oculus studios. 
CPP went with bots to make it easier but I wouldn't expect that much from oculus studios as they are pretty much total newbies in multiplayer games (well, in any game, actually). OK there`s carmack but I suspect he has other important fixes to do on the runtime and/or development.
Everything takes ages, forum users do the helpdesk instead of oculus team and there`s not even a phone number you can call or a door-swap when it comes to faulty units, I didn't expect anything better.

So I think its both: a little incompetent because they are new to the industry, a little indifferent since they have a lot more important things to do -that were supposed to be done long ago.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Well, where to begin lol

Currently Onward is the most played Multiplayer VR game to-date:
Onward currently has more players online than the rest of the major Vive games combined
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/50cj32/onward_currently_has_more_players_online_than_the/

However, at one point in time some folks disliked it for the same reasons as the OP in this thread:
Why I refunded Onward.
The first and by far the greatest issue with the game in it's current state is that far too much time is spent waiting around in lobbies and not enough is spent enjoying the gameplay. I believe I spent somewhere around 70% of my time within the game not actually playing which becomes very frustrating very quickly.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/50bu4e/why_i_refunded_onward/

I think it's a bit silly to blame the developers for the lack of player population. We cant really expect developers to walk around town forcing people to buy a Rift and stay logged in to D&B just for our amusement lol

Granted, I have no doubt that the match-making system could probably use some work. However, I am an avid D&B player (I maxed out both Avatars and nearly finished all Progressions); and I can say that at no point have there been "lots of rooms with 2 or 3 people."

I'm surprised I am the first to see this statement and not feel the need to call it out. During those times where I am hanging out waiting for more players to join, at some point the group agrees to "disband" and "rejoin" via the quick join option... and then we just all end up together again without a full group.

I have quit one group, waited a few minutes, trying a quick join, and ended up right back in the original group I left 5 minutes prior.

This happens a ton, and whoever experiences this with me online just laughs as we admit that we are probably the only people playing at that time.

Yet there are times, usually Friday nights, where joining games as easy, fast, consistent, painless, and fun.

The only way I could see a situation where there are multiple rooms with less-than-a-full group waiting... is if everyone has created different Game Modes.

1) One room waiting for Horde
2) One room waiting for Quick Draw
3) One room waiting for Robbery
4) Two rooms waiting for Shootout

Even that feels like a small chance since really... who the hell plays Robbery and Quick Draw? hah

Nonetheless, while I do think it is good to let developers know that we are here playing their stuff and could use some luvin attention, I also find it to be in poor taste to instantly insult them (e.g. calling them incompetent) without actually thinking things through first. Especially in a situation like this... where we have a great game that was not only given away for free, but ended up playing a huge role in allowing Oculus Rift users feel completely justified in their $200 Touch controller purchases.

The development talent behind D&B deserves far more credit.

cybernettr
Superstar
 I hate the thought of playing a game with total strangers.  You have no idea about their skill level, the personality type, their fanaticism, etc.  

The YouTuber UK Rifter played a multiplayer with a friend against a stranger who turned out to be a jerk.  His efforts after that were to try to avoid playing with that individual again, and eventually the video ended with him giving up.

The developers need to allow you to play all levels against AI. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The worst experience I had - which wasn't even that bad - is that my partner was a noob and didn't do very well (zero kills after the match). So then he cursed at everyone and quit the game lol. His exact statement was, "I'm the king, bitches."

This forum can be used to coordinate matches amongst friends. We have a Megathread for the Oculus Friends List, and several similar threads popped up specifically for Dead & Buried. I attempted a "let's play" thread to help coordinate sessions, but maybe someone else will have better success.

With a little organization, it shouldn't be too difficult to overcome some of these issues while we wait for the Dev's to release more updates.

regularears
Expert Protege
Obviously an underlying issue, although admittedly not relevant here, in multiplayer gaming in VR is the split between Oculus and SteamVR matchmaking.

It's completely understandable - I think I read somewhere that Oculus won't allow a game on their store that relies on another system for matchmaking - which is fair enough in the quality of product stakes I guess.

Some publishers provide keys for the 'other store' when buying their game but this doesn't really solve the problem as you can only be in one matchmaking system at any time.

For me, the only way to solve it is for each matchmaking system to be able to 'dip into' the other if game versions on both platforms are the same.

I believe that, in most cases, it's only the matchmaking bit that's required. Once a client has a peer or server's IP address, they could connect up anyway regardless of whether they're Oculus or SteamVR.