update: I tried installing SIDEQUEST and went through all the steps. And it worked, or so I thought. I installed one movie file, and then watched it with no problem.
A few days later I went through the same steps, and I got a message that the transfer had gone through. But when I put on the OCULUS, I could NOT find the file ... it evidently was not there.
SIDEQUEST reports that the transfer had gone though, but when I looked it was NOT there!
Hey there, Will Friedwald, we know how troublesome this could be, and we would be looking for answers as well. We also understand how this can be a confusing issue. Allow us to lend you a hand and get you back to your movies as quickly as possible.
We've got your back. Reach back out when you have time and let us know if any of these questions help after trying them.
* yes, I have restarted multiple times, both the mac and the device
* I know the MAC is up to date, and I believe the OCULUS received a download and an update this afternoon.
* the first file that I was able to transfer using SIDEQUEST is still there and it works.
my latest theory is that I can only transfer a file if it has the original name. This doesn't make any sense, but when I try a file with the original name, it has worked twice so far (using SIDEQUEST). When I change the name of the file and then try to transfer the re-named file, it does NOT work.
thank you for your feedback and support!
Hey there Willfriedwald thanks for the details on what you have completed it really helps us looking further into this situation.
I am not sure - can you explain a little further? How would I do this? A setting on the device? (I was trying to transfer into the MOVIES folder using sideline.)
Actually I was able to get a second video file to transfer - with the original name (not renaming) and it also worked. And I was able to watch it. that's two so far! Don't know why renaming might make a difference, but apparently it does.
Hello, @willfriedwald. Thanks for the feedback; we'd definitely like to know more and look further into this issue. That's fantastic news, and it's also useful to know that not renaming the files and leaving them with their original names appears to work.
Let's give this a shot. Try to transfer one or two more files and keep them with the original name, then get back to us to see if it works.