cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Guardian. PERMANENTLY!!!

seiler270
Explorer
The -ONLY- thing I use my Rift S for is iRacing.

I don't use the controllers, I don't need the guardian..

I don't know.  I DO NOT GODDAMN KNOW how many times I have gone through the guardian setup to get it to SHUT UP.  only to again get "play area not found" a few sessions later, so I have to drag out the controllers again and do it again..    For whatever reason, and this has been ongoing for months, the setup never "sticks" and I have to redo it over and over again.

The final straw was today in the middle of a race,  I lift the headset up for a second while I'm pitting to take a drink, pull it back down  PLAY AREA NOT FOUND..  I had to quit the goddamn race because of it.

I looked on reddit and there are multiple threads about this same issue, not being able to disable guardian and or setting it up and it doesen't keep and makes you do it over and over.

There needs to be a way to TURN IT OFF PERMANENTLY!!

From other threads:

"mine loses his guardian all time , need to reset each time, is annoying"

"I just got my Rift S on Sunday and every time i play a game, put the
headset down to go use the restroom and come back, when i pick up and
put on my headset i'm hit with the "play area not found".

"I keep resetting the play area and after a couple of hours it asks for
it again. Sometimes I setup the play area then switch off guardian in
settings and once again it says play area not found."

"I have tried to turn off guardian lot of times but it keeps resetting"

20 REPLIES 20

wuzp
Rising Star
I believe that nobody at Oculus will ever "tell you" how to do this; because the last thing they want is a personal injury lawsuit.

seiler270
Explorer
That is pants on head retarded..   Like seriously government papers, handicap parking, wearing a helmet in public, diapers at 30 retarded as shit.

You give somebody a way to disable a feature AT THE USERS DISCREATION..  complete with some long winded bullshit disclaimer that you have to click OK on a few times..   

Besides that fact you can already SKIP the setup and it warns you that you may die etc etc..  except of course the setup will just continue to tea-bag you every time you try to use the headset.

Ideally it should just work, but considering that, as a quick search will point out, this has been a problem that is over a year old with not a goddamn single thing done to fix it.   so that ship has sailed.

NOTE: I redid the setup AGAIN after my last post.  Set the floor level, draw the boundary, complete the setup..  yay, done..  not even ten goddamn minutes later  "play area not found"  

The Rift S is amazing, guardian is TRASH.  

pete_auau
Explorer
yep agree  should be  a option  to turn  it off  completely if  your  only  using  the   seating  option

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
For my Rift cv1 I always just skip the guardian bit during setup and it does not seem to bother me again.  Not sure about the Rift S though.  For my Quest, I have enabled Developer mode and in the Quest settings all/developer I'm able to turn this off.  I'm pretty well always in sitting or close standing modes for most my games so for me guardian is not very useful.  However, for some games with my quest like Eleven ping pong I turn it back on.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

oxymoron_02
Honored Guest

seiler270 said:

That is pants on head retarded..   Like seriously government papers, handicap parking, wearing a helmet in public, diapers at 30 retarded as shit.

You give somebody a way to disable a feature AT THE USERS DISCREATION..  complete with some long winded bullshit disclaimer that you have to click OK on a few times..   

Besides that fact you can already SKIP the setup and it warns you that you may die etc etc..  except of course the setup will just continue to tea-bag you every time you try to use the headset.

Ideally it should just work, but considering that, as a quick search will point out, this has been a problem that is over a year old with not a goddamn single thing done to fix it.   so that ship has sailed.

NOTE: I redid the setup AGAIN after my last post.  Set the floor level, draw the boundary, complete the setup..  yay, done..  not even ten goddamn minutes later  "play area not found"  

You know you can insult something WITHOUT using disabled people as a fucking punching bag, right? You're a sick, disgusting little fuck and I hope you die.

Sorry I missed the initial post and agree the examples given are unnecessary and offensive. Wishing someone dead isn't too great either.

I realise this is the internet and it's unfortunately how many people behave, but, can everyone please remember when you put an argument together, exaggeration tends to undermine the proposition, not strengthen it.

Above all though, keep it polite and considerate please.

Endosight
Explorer
Hi, has anybody found the solution to PERMANENTLY disable Guardian in the Oculus Rift S? I have developed an app that never requires the Guardian but it continuously pops-out saying "no play area found". i have tried to skip and acknowledge or to disable it in the Guardian setup after having done all the process but it still comes out. I need to PERMANENTLY disable it. Please help

seiler270
Explorer

seiler270 said:

You know you can insult something WITHOUT using disabled people as a fucking punching bag, right? You're a sick, disgusting little fuck and I hope you die.

Relax water head, no need for death threats.

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Just enable developer mode and disable guardian.  Or change guardian to glanceable.