cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i need custom lenses or not for quest 3

N80FTY.Andrew
Honored Guest

Hi, all,

Sorry im stupid when it comes to this eye stuff, i cant seem to understand it and no where can give me a descent answer or explanation to understand it, so i hope someone here can. I don't understand the near and far sighted information. So ill explain what i can.

I don't need glasses for my 65" TV which is 2.5-3 metres away on the wall. I don't need glasses for everyday use or driving.

But my test shows i need glasses to read things in my hands now. which both eyes are SPH+0.50 and they have a +1.00 on each eye. (i dont see anywhere on the websites to add this +1.00)

Can anyone explain what the +1.00 is and why its not on any website when trying to order custom lenses. 

Also the SPH+0.50 does this mean i need lenses for VR or not. 

Am i classed as near sighted or farsighted.

My face is against the Headset and is less than 1 inch from my face so im confused and cant get a good explanation. Can someone please help.

Here is my test..

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I'm not an optician so can't explain the numbers to you, but the headset has a focal distance of around 1.3-1.5m, so if you need glasses to see clearly at that distance in real life, you'll need prescription inserts (or glasses, but beware of lens damage) to see clearly in VR.

View solution in original post

I think, you misread what he said.

He only said the you need glassesin the headset  if you need glassers in real life to view things in a 1.3-1.5m distance.

But you say, you need reading glasses.

Means ....in the headset you don't need glasses, because in the headset you have view like looking at sömething in real life from a distance of 1.3 - 1.5m, not like reading a book.🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I'm not an optician so can't explain the numbers to you, but the headset has a focal distance of around 1.3-1.5m, so if you need glasses to see clearly at that distance in real life, you'll need prescription inserts (or glasses, but beware of lens damage) to see clearly in VR.

Choleni
MVP
MVP

Hi @N80FTY.Andrew 🙂

you said , you need glasses for reading things in your hand, such as books or so.

Means..... little things that are pretty close to your eyes.

That's not the sight that you have in the headset. Just like @user_901925786032222 said about the distance.

You don't need glasses in the headset.

Hi, You said, 

Just like @user_901925786032222 said about the distance.

You don't need glasses in the headset.

But he said i would need glasses/inserts. 

What do you mean by the focal distance. This is why i dont understand. Everywhere says things like

VRRock We require the distance prescription, not the reading or PC prescription.

or VR opticians says Your far distance prescription (and not your reading or PC prescription)

I think, you misread what he said.

He only said the you need glassesin the headset  if you need glassers in real life to view things in a 1.3-1.5m distance.

But you say, you need reading glasses.

Means ....in the headset you don't need glasses, because in the headset you have view like looking at sömething in real life from a distance of 1.3 - 1.5m, not like reading a book.🙂

Ah ok. sorry, so because i am far sighted/long sighted and im now in my 40s with Presbyopia, and i can see things 1.3-1.5 metres away clearly i dont need the lenses. But if i cant see far away i would need them, so for VR you only really need lenses if you are short sighted. 

N80FTY.Andrew
Honored Guest

This query is complete, Can someone please remove/ delete it as and when required.

Thank you

Even if you can't see things far away, that doesn't mean you need them for VR. Headsets have a fixed focal distance and that's the only one you need to consider for VR. It's easy to test - just look at some text 1.5m away and see how clear it is.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?