cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does USB 3.0 and USB 3.2 actually matter?

JayDeeisHERE
Honored Guest

I'm looking at Quest link cables and I'm noticing that the normal 3rd party USB A to USB C cables use USB 3.0 and offer 5GBPS speeds, but the more expensive/official cables offer speeds up to 10GBPS. What's the difference? Does it actually do anything?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

soulburn74
Protege

If the USB device supported 3.2, it would double the bandwidth from 5GB to 10GB, but Quest2 only supports 3.0.

A good side question though, what does Quest Pro support (or the pending quest 3 which I'm imagining will be the pro, minus eye tracking)???

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

soulburn74
Protege

If the USB device supported 3.2, it would double the bandwidth from 5GB to 10GB, but Quest2 only supports 3.0.

A good side question though, what does Quest Pro support (or the pending quest 3 which I'm imagining will be the pro, minus eye tracking)???

I hope the Quest 3 supports 3.2, I can imagine how well it handles compression and latency!

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Pure bandwidth is only a part of the equation. It's latency and stability increases that improve the link capabilities. Also some mobos has a direct 3.2 port if you get an Intel. That said most of the performance will be gpu bound.

I agree 100%, I was purely speaking to 3.2 vs 3.1/3.0.