cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does VR work for someone who has monovision?

jim_graziano_98
Honored Guest
I have look on internet and can't find anything definitive.  Does Vr work for someone who has monovision?  I have looked for a way to directly email Oculus, but there doesn't seem to be a way.  If someone from the company told me it works for someone with monovision I would highly consider buying a product.
17 REPLIES 17

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star
I assume mono vision is only seeing out of one eye? If so, then yes it will work. There’s no reason it wouldn’t have the same disadvantages as simply having the same issue in real life, but that’s something you already deal with. Depth isn’t achieved purely by having two different FOV come together, as I’m sure you’ve noticed. 

This has come up here before and somebody kept staunchly refusing to accept that you have any depth perception with one eye, but that’s so insanely easy for me to verify as false (by closing one eye, like I do any time im firing a rifle in game or real life) that I don’t even think it merited rebuttal. 

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star
If that IS how monovision works, itd certainly be cool if it was possible to turn off the non functional eye’s display and save yourself a ton of GPU processing! 

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
Actually, my understanding of Monovision is that one eye is adjusted for distance while the other eye is left nearsighted. 

The Quest screen is set to be perceived by your eyes at a certain focal distance. If you have had surgery that resulted in monovision, you might experience issues with one eye being extremely blurry. If you are able to focus on things that are around 4 to 6 feet away fine, then you should be able to use the Quest just fine. 

My understanding is that monovision can lead to a lack of depth perception which is pretty important to the VR experience. If you can find someone with a headset to try, I would see if you can focus (sorry for the pun).

Best Buy used to have units to tryout. You might see if they still do.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star
If that’s the case then I’m entirely mistaken and apologize. But would definitely recommend trying one out, because the headset’s depth is so insanely realistic that it may feel no different than your usual vision (whatever the individual’s case is)

jim_graziano_98
Honored Guest
No need to apologize, i should have been more clear.  It does mean that i had lasix on one eye to see further away and my other eye is able to read, this way i do not need glasses.  It works well once you are used to it.  I haven't noticed an issue with depth perception, but both eyes cannot focus on things 4 to 6 feet away.  your idea to try it in person is a good one.  Hopefully Best Buy still allows that.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I'm naturally like that. My dominant left eye is fine for distance, my right eye is near sighted. VR works fine, I generally don't even notice.
The focal distance for most Oculus headsets is around 1.5m. So for focusing, it's like everything is 1.5m away. For me, my left eye is find at that distance and my right is only slightly blurred, so things like stereo vision depth perception work like normal. But if your vision doesn't like that range with either eye, then you'll probably have a fuzzy time.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Richooal
Consultant
As Kojack said, everything in the displays is at a fixed focal distance of around 1.5m.
If after, trying the headset, you think that one of your eyes is giving you a problem at that distance, you can use an aftermarket prescription lens to compensate.
I am shortsighted and use lenses from WIDMOvr. They work brilliantly.
https://widmovr.com/

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

Richooal said:

As Kojack said, everything in the displays is at a fixed focal distance of around 1.5m.
If after, trying the headset, you think that one of your eyes is giving you a problem at that distance, you can use an aftermarket prescription lens to compensate.

Ah, you cheeky Brits and your metric system. Brilliant!

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Richooal
Consultant

Richooal said:

Ah, you cheeky Brits and your metric system. Brilliant!

Crikey mate! Get it right.

Only 3 countries in the world haven't converted to metric ................ United States, Liberia, and Myanmar.
Fun fact 94.99% of the world's population is waiting for those 3 to get up to date.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.