cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the headset screen light up if the GPU is "too slow?"

SATANHAMMER
Honored Guest
I recently bought a rift at Best Buy. It was supposed to be new, but after opening it I could tell it had been tampered with/used/refurbished. I was missing a thing or two, nothing important. I have tried to use it on my MSI GE72 7RD Apache Pro.

I know it may not be perfect for some games, but can I at least verify that there is no malfunction to the headset? Are there any tricks to get it up and working?
  • Latest 7th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 processor
  • Windows 10 Home / Windows 10 Pro
  • Latest GeForce® GTX 1050 4 / 2GB GDDR5 with desktop level performance
  • 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080), 120 Hz Refresh Rate and 5ms response time panel (Optional)
  • 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080), IPS level panel (Optional)
  • 17.3" UHD (3840x2160), IPS level panel, 100% Adobe RGB (Optional)
  • Exclusive Cooler Boost 4 Technology
  • The X Boost function from MSI technology supports faster storage access speed.
  • Dragon Center provides six functions to get a total control of your personal computer
  • WTFast free premium license for 2-month
  • NVMe M.2 SSD by PCIe Gen3 X4 up to 2200MB/s speed(optional)
  • The latest USB 3.1 SuperSpeed+ interface built in
  • USB Type-C reversible plug
  • Exclusive SHIFT technology boosts performance under controlled noise & temperature
  • Nahimic 2 Sound Technology delivering 360⁰ immersive audio experience
  • Audio Boost 2 enhancing the gaming headset sound detail and sound stage
  • Sound by Dynaudio system
  • True Color Technology for increased color contrast and greater image detail
  • SteelSeries Engine 3 with GameSense to personalize your play style
  • Keyboard by Steelseries with full color backlighting
  • Upgraded Killer Gigabit LAN Controller + Killer Shield + 802.11 ac
  • Xsplit Gamecaster 1 year free premium license for broadcasting, recording and sharing
  • Matrix Display supporting 4K output up to 2 external monitors
  • Elegant brushed aluminum chassis, creating an ideal fusion of aesthetics and performance

3 REPLIES 3

Kratuln
Explorer
If you think it's been used when you bought it under the assumption it was new then go straight back to them and get a replacement or refund. Don't waste any time, it's an expensive device. If things are missing from it don't wait any longer or they'll likely start questioning your veracity and deny you a replacement/refund.

Do the troubleshooting after you get a replacement.

Also, the specs you listed aren't your computer specs. They seem to be taken straight from a webpage listing possible upgrades.

And just an FYI, the 1050 is below the minimum requirements. I believe the minimum is a 960. The plain old 1050 is 22% slower than a 960. I have a feeling you paid a little too much for that laptop... On your next purchase I strongly suggest asking around on trusted forums for opinions and bargain hunting. I absolutely hate seeing people get sucked in on "gaming" laptops that are not gaming level by a long shot and paying the price of a powerful desktop for an underpowered laptop that's only really good for games released in 2006 and web browsing.

SATANHAMMER
Honored Guest

Kratuln said:

If you think it's been used when you bought it under the assumption it was new then go straight back to them and get a replacement or refund. Don't waste any time, it's an expensive device. If things are missing from it don't wait any longer or they'll likely start questioning your veracity and deny you a replacement/refund.

Do the troubleshooting after you get a replacement.

Also, the specs you listed aren't your computer specs. They seem to be taken straight from a webpage listing possible upgrades.

And just an FYI, the 1050 is below the minimum requirements. I believe the minimum is a 960. The plain old 1050 is 22% slower than a 960. I have a feeling you paid a little too much for that laptop... On your next purchase I strongly suggest asking around on trusted forums for opinions and bargain hunting. I absolutely hate seeing people get sucked in on "gaming" laptops that are not gaming level by a long shot and paying the price of a powerful desktop for an underpowered laptop that's only really good for games released in 2006 and web browsing.

Thanks. I am going to take it back tomorrow. I saw that the minimum GPU was 1050 ti, which I figured there may be a way past. I do think there may be something wrong with the headset, as the computer screen would show VR images from the setup, and even react to the headset/hand sensors moving around. I just wanted to get a better handle on it all. I suppose it is time for me to try and become a bit more computer literate. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The screen isn't lighting up because of your laptop. Not because it's too slow, but because the HDMI port doesn't connect to the GTX 1050, only the Intel onboard graphics. You might get it to work through the DisplayPort using a DP to HDMI adapter (it must be a 4K compatible one).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?