cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite dangerous update

gpcustom
Explorer
really have enjoyed the 1st person play in this game but as of todays new update it will not load. Virus protection turned off, oculus allowed in, fire wall even turned off and time after time  again it just does not take. Any fixes out there so  far?
53 REPLIES 53

gpcustom
Explorer
Thank you all for so much helpful information. Good to know you can turn to this group in a time of frustration 😉
I finally uninstalled oculus and then reinstalled it and aside from a delay in some arraignment of the office space I have been enjoying the new version of ED for a while now. Going to sip on a fine adult beverage and consider a little exploration before I crash for the night.
Best regards to you all!

up2eleven
Honored Guest
I tried rdolivaw's suggestions, and it did install a 300MB update, but then it still did the full update after that, which failed again, so the complete uninstall/reinstall seems to be the only viable option right now (at least for anyone who had it happen like I did).

KilgoreTroutisD
Honored Guest
So just to be clear. I am just uninstalling and reinstalling the game correct???? I'm really worried about losing my progress in the game and somehow having to start all over again. That would be horrible. 

KilgoreTroutisD
Honored Guest
And I really cant wait to play the update so if anyone can confirm that I wont lose my progress ( Which I assume is stored on Frontiers servers) PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

keyman26
Honored Guest
Hoping for an Elite 2.4 fix here also- trying on steam before resorting to uninstalling and reinstalling from oculus home.  hopefully an official fix comes out soon

Tegizzle
Honored Guest

So just to be clear. I am just uninstalling and reinstalling the game correct???? I'm really worried about losing my progress in the game and somehow having to start all over again. That would be horrible. 

Yap, that's what I did.
I think the progress is stored on the Frontier-Servers, so no risk here.
Frontier recommends saving the bindings, so I did a backup of  my "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings" folder in Windows 10, but even that was not necessary. Everthing was in place after the reinstall.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
hi
do you have access to the the frontier  store version as well?  mine works just fine.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

regularears
Expert Protege

hi
do you have access to the the frontier  store version as well?  mine works just fine.

I've been unable to use anything other than the Oculus version of ED for some time (well up until today when I've been unable to use that one too).

When trying to run it from Steam it wouldn't give me the option to render in the HMD and the advice I got online was 'run the Oculus version'.

So I did, and it worked, for a while.

simonpawlin
Honored Guest

rdolivaw said:

Here is my workaround, a little different.

In your oculus install directory, named Oculus, you will find a sub-directory named "Software" and below that two more; one named "Software" and one named "Staging"
Software/Software will contain directories for all of your installed games.

If you have attempted the install and it aborted as in the messages above, there will be directories in each of those directories named "frontier-developments-plc-elite-dangerous".

The one in Software/Staging is E:D v2.4 , the one in Software/Software is E:D v2.3.
With Oculus Home NOT RUNNING, I deleted the v2.3 directory in Software/Software and moved the v2.4 directory from Software/Staging to Software/Software.

I then started Oculus Home and it downloaded a small update (~300mb) for Elite Dangerous, installed it successfully and all is well. I am now running 2.4.

Hope this helps someone. You can always revert by placing the 2.4 directory in its original location and restoring 2.3 from the recycle bin.

i don't have these files......?? i find oculus/software but all files are empty. there are no subfolders that match your description

rdolivaw
Protege

i don't have these files......?? i find oculus/software but all files are empty. there are no subfolders that match your description

I don't know. Search your PC for the folders, the game software is installed somewhere.
Perhaps you're looking at an old install location, that has been removed except for the empty folders.

The method I suggested worked for me, moving the folders manually is basically the same as uninstalling and reinstalling the game, without the chance of Home failing to complete the install. But, it seems from @upeleven, that is not guaranteed. 
I suggest you to try the oculus support recommended method of complete uninstall/reinstall, if you cannot locate the folders.
Best of luck.