cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite strap with battery drained even if the Oculus is powered down

LapinFou14
Protege

Hi folks,

I got an Elite strap with battery. This is a great accessory: very comfortable, double the play time and your Quest 2 is better balanced (counterweight).

However it is not perfect because the Oculus is always in "charge mode" if the Elite strap is left plugged EVEN if the Quest is powered down. This is very annoying.

Over the night, the head strap battery can lose 20/25% of its capacity.

The only workaround is to unplug the Elite USB-C wire after powering down the Quest.

I know many people got the same issue.

So, is it a bad hardware design? Or is it a software issue?

In the 2nd case, shall we hope for a possible update of the battery firmware (if it's even possible...)?
Or maybe a new Quest firmware could fix this issue?

If somebody from the support could answer to this. 😊

BTW, exchanging the "Elite Strap with battery" will not fix this issue since, as far I know, all the owners of the accessory got the same problem.

Best regards,

Seb

22 REPLIES 22

LapinFou14
Protege

Non one go the same issue? 😨
I feel lonely... 😓

Anonymous
Not applicable

The option of unplugging the elite strap with battery cable is the only solution I’ve found. Don’t know of any other workaround. Minor annoyance but not a big deal. 

LapinFou14
Protege

I agree, it is a minor annoyance. It is just a shame for a such nice piece of hardware.😆

MountainLover86
Honored Guest

Same issue here.  It is so aggravating.  After charging up, I unplug it as I don't like to leave things like that on a charger all the time and especially overnight.  Then the next day when it is time to play Population One, I find out that I now only have 75% battery left in my extended battery.  Then like last night...I'm getting the last enemy before a victory and my headset dies before the game is done. All because the simple extended battery won't hold a charge overnight like it is supposed to do.  So here is what I have to do now.  Charge it up and when I go to sleep, I make sure everything is powered down, unplug it, then when I play the next day with the headset drained and the "extended battery" is at 75% or lower, I have to have a fanny pack on a belt with a charging bank, charging the extended battery, that is charging the headset, just to get the full extended time.  They need to fix this stuff ASAP.

@LapinFou14 wrote:

I agree, it is a minor annoyance. It is just a shame for a such nice piece of hardware.😆

Just wait till the strap cracks ... mine cracked after 4 months of light use.

Indeed mine also cracked after few months. 😥

I got a full exchange. The new case is slightly different. Thus, I hope this also include a strap fix for this crack issue.... 🤞

I

@LapinFou14 wrote:

Indeed mine also cracked after few months. 😥

I got a full exchange. The new case is slightly different. Thus, I hope this also include a fix for this crack issue.... 🤞

How long did it take for Oculus support to get back to you to approve the exchange? I chatted with Oculus support on Sunday but I've gotten no ticket or reponse yet.

I don't have the elite strap but instead have a halo with separately attached battery. However, I would expect the separate battery to discharge when the headset is not in use. Its whole job is to keep the headset battery topped up and extend play time so if the headset is at 75% charge when I take it off, I expect most of the remaining 25% to be replaced by the external battery, which will then obviously contain less charge.

When charging the elite strap, do you plug the charger into the headset or the elite strap battery? As I say, I've never owned one.

I'm living in France, thus I bought my elite strap in a French shop (similar to USA "Best Buy").

In Europe the guarantee is 2years for all products. I went to the shop and they replaced it. I guess they will directly deal with the Oculus company.