cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environment shifting/jumping occasionally? (Rift CV1 3-Sensors)

doinurmop1234
Explorer
Hello, I recently got a CV1 as my first jump into VR, and I'm loving it although I've been having a slight issue.

Sometimes during gameplay the environment will shift, or jump a lil then go back, can this related to tracking setup?
Also in some games mainly noticed in KTANE when looking some objects shift back like they're breathing, lil weird.

Thank you for any help! 
11 REPLIES 11

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
This is often caused by USB related problems.  Make sure you have any usb power saving options disabled.  If you use a 3rd sensor make sure it is connected to a usb 2.0 in order to minimise bandwidth usage.  You may be better starting off with just 2x front mounted sensors and see how this works first.  Good luck and welcome to the cv1 club!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

doinurmop1234
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

This is often caused by USB related problems.  Make sure you have any usb power saving options disabled.  If you use a 3rd sensor make sure it is connected to a usb 2.0 in order to minimise bandwidth usage.  You may be better starting off with just 2x front mounted sensors and see how this works first.  Good luck and welcome to the cv1 club!

Yeah I've been using Oculus Tray Tool to make sure the savings options are High Performance all the time just in case.
I've got the two main cameras  in 3.0 and the third in 2.0.  I'd expand with a card but the space is taken up by my GPU due to my small motherboard lol.

I'll try 2 cameras tomorrow, as well and as moving my cameras about somewhat. Thank you!

doinurmop1234
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

Just an update, went through the device setup again, tried without the third camera and without any other non-rift related USB's plugged in, still getting pretty much the same issue sadly.
I mean I can ignore it, but it's there.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I see you are using OTT.  Maybe check that your Super Sampling is not set too high (including in-game graphics settings) for your PC setup.  Try 1.0 SS and low in-game settings to begin with.  

Also, make sure your Win10 updates and Graphic drivers are up to date.  I'm currently on win10 1809 and nvidia 430.86 with my gtx1080ti and this works well.  And of course, make sure you are using fresh batteries in your controllers.

Also, check  your Sensor coverage for dead spots.  There is a free app at the Oculus store, Sensor Bounds which may help make sure your sensor coverage is adequate.  And of course, make sure your sensor lens are clean with a microfiber cloth.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1682666568488584/?locale=en_US

Otherwise, contact Oculus support and start a ticket for some assistance.  You should provide them with a log file (which is very easy to do).

https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/

Good luck sorting this out mate.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

doinurmop1234
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

I see you are using OTT.  Maybe check that your Super Sampling is not set too high (including in-game graphics settings) for your PC setup.  Try 1.0 SS and low in-game settings to begin with.  

Also, make sure your Win10 updates and Graphic drivers are up to date.  I'm currently on win10 1809 and nvidia 430.86 with my gtx1080ti and this works well.  And of course, make sure you are using fresh batteries in your controllers.

Also, check  your Sensor coverage for dead spots.  There is a free app at the Oculus store, Sensor Bounds which may help make sure your sensor coverage is adequate.  And of course, make sure your sensor lens are clean with a microfiber cloth.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1682666568488584/?locale=en_US

Otherwise, contact Oculus support and start a ticket for some assistance.  You should provide them with a log file (which is very easy to do).

https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/

Good luck sorting this out mate.

Thank you, will make sure of all of this tomorrow, and send a ticket if needed.
Though I'm starting to wonder if it's an issue with how I have the headset on? Like distortion between the lenses.
I mainly wonder this, since I can't capture it by recording, which should show any or most tracking issues I believe.

Then in Blade and Sorcery, and Beat Saber I hardly notice it if at all, maybe since it's more fast paced, but yeah just another thought.

Thank you for your help 🙂

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Also, make sure you have adjusted/calibrated your headset IPD if you have not already done this (= bottom of dash/settings/headset).

doinurmop1234
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

Also, make sure you have adjusted/calibrated your headset IPD if you have not already done this (= bottom of dash/settings/headset).

Yeah, done that a decent amount of time, I believe I've got it as good as it can be.
So it's a little confusing, mainly due to the fact I can't record the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
How stable are your sensors? I've had this happen too, and I assumed it happened because one of my sensors moved just a tiny bit. It moved just enough for it to jump positions between whichever sensor picked it up, but not enough for the software to give an error. Recalibrating fixed it for me.

doinurmop1234
Explorer

DannyMNL said:

How stable are your sensors? I've had this happen too, and I assumed it happened because one of my sensors moved just a tiny bit. It moved just enough for it to jump positions between whichever sensor picked it up, but not enough for the software to give an error. Recalibrating fixed it for me.

Yeah recalibrating everytime the "jump" happened seem to help or fix it, still unsure about the other issue though.