cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when casting Meta Oculus Quest 2 to Vizio TV using the Built-In Chromecast

djscene
Explorer

I have a new 70" Vizio TV and new 43” Vizio TV that both have built-in Chromecast. When I send a cast from Meta Oculus Quest 2 my TV recognizes the cast and looks like its starts to load on the TV screen. Shortly after the screen goes completely black and the Quest 2 says that was an "unknown streaming error". The Quest 2 has no issues connecting to other Chromecast devices, but for some reason my new Vizio TVs give me an error over and over again.

Both devices are Chromecast compatible 

Both devices are connected to the same 5G WiFi network

I've powered down both devices and switched off WiFi

I've rebooted my wireless router and TVs

Vizio 70” Model: M700Q7-J03 / Firmware: 1.520.24.2-2

Vizio 43” Model: M43Q6M-K04 / Firmware: 1.520.24.2-2

To troubleshoot, I purchased a standalone Chromecast HD, plugged it into my Vizio 70” TV and it connected exactly how it is supposed to with the external Chromecast. However, the built-in Chromecast maintains the same errors. 

In addition, I went as far as purchasing a new eero mesh internet router to troubleshoot and make sure it’s not “a router issue”. Vizio TV and Quest 2 are both connected to the same wifi. Vizio TV still says there is an error connecting thru “built-in Chromecast” when casting from the Meta Quest 2.

The direct response from Chromecast (Google) was:

*In this case, it does sound like the issue is isolated to Vizio's Chromecast built-in. If you can, make sure the Vizio TV is up-to-date on its firmware and also factory reset it. / Chromecast built-in is open-source software and Vizio would have modified the code in some way*

The direct response from Vizio customer support was:

*Because YouTube is casting to the tv then it would be an issue with the device manufacturer, I would recommend contacting meta for further assistance with that.*

I’m able to cast directly to “Built-in Chromecast” on my Vizio TVs. Just not able to cast the Meta Quest 2.

Why won't Quest 2 cast to a the built-in Chromecast on Vizio TVs ?

8 REPLIES 8

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello there, @djscene. We appreciate you bringing up the issue of your Quest 2 not being able to cast on your TV. We know how inconvenient it is to have to go through this, and are happy to look into this with you! 

• Have you tried restarting your headset?
    • To restart your headset:
      • With your headset on and powered on, press and hold the power button on the right side of your headset until you see the Power off screen.
      • Select Restart. Your headset will turn off and then turn back on.
    • If you're unable to restart your headset:
      • Press and hold the power button for at least 10 seconds. This will manually turn off your headset.
      • Wait 30 seconds.
      • Press and hold the power button until your headset turns back on.
  • Have you also checked to make sure that all your devices (headset, TV, and phone) are updated as well? 

So we can dive deeper into this issue, we advise reaching out to our support team as well, as they have the tools to look into it further. Once you submit your ticket, our team will be happy to help you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

djscene
Explorer

Yes. Restarting the headset was the first thing I did.

Yes. All of my devices are running the latest updated software.

I just clicked on support team. There is no option to troubleshoot "casting" from Quest 2 to TV or Quest 2 to Chromecast. Please advise.

Heya, can you please follow this workflow to get in contact with our support team. 

Software or Content> Casting> Smart TV> This does not solve my issue

After that you'll get the option to contact us through a email, a live chat, a chat through WhatsApp, or even a scheduled phone call. We look forward to assisting you there and getting this all figured out for you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

RatKingChase
Honored Guest

Restarting everything doesn't work.  I can cast to my phone fine.  Then mirroring on my fire stick from my phone to the tv but I can't cast from my headset after selecting the TV.  Throws a casting error.

@RatKingChase, Thank you for informing us about your casting difficulties. Let us begin by ensuring that you are adhering to the casting requirements:

• Both the headset and the receiving device need to be connected to the same local area network (Generally this just means connected through the same router, though it may be more complex on public or enterprise systems)
  • Best practice is to have the headset connected through 5Ghz, though 2.4Ghz may still work at limited quality
  • When casting to a computer or mobile app, both the headset and the device displaying the cast must be logged into the same account 
    • This limits secondary accounts from casting to the mobile app, as a secondary account cannot be connected to an app 
  • Your TV or device must support Chromecast. If it's a device other than a Chromecast then it's currently not supported. 

We don't know if our suggestions solved the problem. However, if you continue to have casting issues, please visit our support page for assistance from our support agents. 

djscene
Explorer

No, Meta didn't solve the problem.

I hope this threat can help someone tho.

I purchased a plug-in Chromecast for my Vizio TV as a work around.

Meta still needs to fix their code in order to have Quest 2 connect to Vizio TV's built-in Chromecast feature.