cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when generating new device code

fivenightsjeff
Honored Guest

I updated to my new Meta account now when I launch Oculus, it tells me to enter the new device code to activate it however when you click generate new device code you get a message that says an error occurred please try again. But it will never create the new device code. How do I get a device code so I can pair up my headsets

14 REPLIES 14

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya fivenightsjeff! It seems you are experiencing something not intended by design. We want to assure you, we are actively working on these issues. Please feel free to keep trying, but we will let everyone know when this is resolved. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

PootTheSnoot
Honored Guest

Having the same issue. Restarted headset, logged out of site and back in, powered off headset and tried logging in from a different device. Account is up to date but headset won’t generate device code. Just says “an error occurred try again” over and over. All devices are on same wifi network, in the same room. It worked fine before.

Hello, this problem is still happening I just tried to play on my oculus and it’s doing the same thing. When i first got it about two or three years ago it never had this problem til now. I don't know how to fix it. Ive created a new account and my oculus just wont make a new pairing code and it wont let me do anything. 

Hey, @ella004. We see you are having an issue with your oculus sending a pairing code. We would love to assist you in dealing with this issue; we just need to ask you a few questions to properly determine the root of your problem. 

1. When you say your headset won't send a pairing code, are you attempting to pair with the Quest mobile app?
  2. When was the last time you were able to use your headset?
  3. Have you done anything that may have triggered your Quest device to disconnect (i.e., doing a factory reset or update)?
  4. What device are you currently attempting to get a code for?

We hope to hear from you soon!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Ding dong. Is anyone home, @ella004? We are just checking up on you to see if you need help with your device not sending a pairing code. If so, can you please get back to us with the information we requested above? We hope you have a great rest of your day!

Hey Meta! I am having the same issue and would love if you could help me out! You see i havent used my vr in a while (Meta Quest 2) and everytime i turn it on it says quote “Ask a parent for help by May 2” Well, I am 18, so I have no idea why that screen is popping up, when I try to generate a new code, it says “Error Occurred, Try again” and I have done all of the above but it wont work, please help? Write soon!

I have the same problem. Haven’t used my oculus in a long time. I did the software update, created an oculus/quest account, put the app on my phone. The phone app says to get the code from the headset and the headset says “an error occurred. please try again” over and over. 

Hi, @bucktmaster! First, remove any unsupported third-party accessories that may affect communication (such as headset covers, etc.).

• If the initial setup is already complete, the pairing code will be found within the headset by going to Settings > System > About.
    • Go to Menu > Devices on the mobile app. Select the headset.
      • If the headset isn't listed, make sure that the mobile device has Bluetooth turned on. If the headset still does not appear, uninstall and then re-install the Meta Quest mobile app.
  • On the next screen, tap Pair. The headset will either pair automatically or ask for the pairing code that was displayed in the headset.
  • After the headset is paired, tap Wi-Fi or Controller Issues? and select the issue that you're having.

Keep us posted on your results afterwards to advise that all is well now or we need to review further. Thanks for your time!

Us here again, @bucktmaster! Have we been able to successfully pair using the instructions provided? If not, keep us posted! All the best.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?