cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended mode

Galbi3000
Honored Guest
As far as I have seen this has been a major issue with DK2 and it seems a little inconsistent. So here it is as it relates to my setup 🙂

I use a multi-monitor setup on my system. I have a secondary display to the left of the main. My DK1 setup was to duplicate the main monitor display with the OR. This worked perfectly for all DK1 software, I never had an issue with it. Elite: Dangerous worked fine with it as well as many other games using either native OR support or TriDef 3D Ignition with experimental OR support.

Now I have DK2. So far I have only been able to use the desk test scene with it or Steam's experimental VR mode. The problems I have are as follows:

1. Use the DK2 in direct mode. No legacy DK1 app will display to it. They all output to the main monitor with the dual display meant for the OR.

2. Use the DK2 in Extended mode as a 3rd screen. I just can not force any app to output to the OR instead of the main display.

3. Copy the DK1 setup and duplicate the main display to the OR. This just does not work for 2 reasons. 1st, the orientation issue makes the OR display turned in the headset. If I re-orientate for the OR, the main monitor display is sideways! Totally unusable. Even if this was not a problem, the second reason for it not working is a major problem. So I will now attempt to describe it in detail:
Ignoring the orientation issue, when the OR DK2 is set up to duplicate another display it does so in a way that treats each eye as a separate display and duplicating the display between 3 displays and not 2. This makes it almost possible to read and use the desktop in the OR. But has a major setback: Games/apps that want to display in 3D still split the display for each eye. This means what you see in the OR for each eye is the same as you would see on the main display! If you were to see the OR display without the lenses you would see left/right/left/right across it's screen.

So far I have been unable to use the DK2 with anything made for DK1 despite the claims of backward compatibility.
7 REPLIES 7

grimreminders
Honored Guest
I'm having the exact same problem. I dont get why i can get 1920x1080 resolutions on my main monitor and the rift, but when i duplicate the rift goes sideways. i really want to use this thing. i guess it is a dev kit...

oculol
Honored Guest
I have the same problem. I have only gotten it to work in extended mode and only in the config tool demo (desk demo).
I constantly get error that the service is not available.

Badkube
Honored Guest
Glad it's not just me. I've been searching on here all day for answers but have come up with nothing. It appears there is a problem with direct mode, possibly to do with 3D graphics cards, and anything other than the desk demo I see as the two images side by side and not one in each eye.

Very frustrating but hopefully someone will get it figured out... 😄

*edit* for some reason the Spacewalk demo works when I select the resolution of 1920 x 1080 which obviously plays it full screen. All the other demos play in a fixed size window much smaller than this which makes me wonder if there is something I've got set up wrong...

Stadius
Honored Guest
I have this exact problem too. "If" I can get it to display in the rift it is sideways. Changing the rift to portrait mode does nothing. I've been trying to find information all day.

valkrien
Honored Guest
Exact same issue with a Radeon 7970. I have become so frustrated that I've gone back to using Unity with the DK1 with the demo i've been working on. I hope it will convert ok to the DK2 when they figure out this stuff.

treebolt
Honored Guest
Is there a fix for this? I'm running Win 7 64-bit, Radeon HD7950

treebolt
Honored Guest
Figured it out, had to go into resolution settings and flip the orientation. Duh... :oops:
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?