cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory reset device and "No command" message

Avery_isdop309
Honored Guest

Hello other meta users, my mom recently got me an oculus 2. I am already having trouble with it. First, it says I have not a lot of storage, and when I delete some of my apps and photos, it only goes down a few percentages, and I don’t know if that is the main cause to my second problem with the oculus. Secondly, when my sister just got done playing job simulator she had canceled an update, and it has been having problems ever since. It won’t stop powering off and powering on and restarting. I contacted meta-and they had told me to do a factory reset. Now, I know how to do a factory reset, but it would not let me do a factory reset, I know that you have to shut off your VR headset, I know that you have to hold down the power button and the volume button, but it keeps restarting when I try to do it. And when I almost succeed, it says the words. “No command” I don’t know if I have a messed up something inside my headset but it would be great if a worker from Meadow could help me figure this out! 

thank you for your time! 
yours truly, Avery

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Penguingod6195! Thank you for taking the time to share you recent experience with the Quest device. We know it's no fun to not be able to use our devices to their full capacity so we would love to help getting this issue resolved for you. Luckily, we do have a couple of troubleshooting steps that you can try to fix the No Command error message. With that being said, can you please try these troubleshooting steps if you haven't already?

• Check that the volume buttons aren't stuck
  • Press and hold the power button for about 10-15 seconds or until the headset is forced off
  • Then follow the normal steps to perform a factory reset ensuring the headset is OFF before attempting the steps, and the correct volume down button is held.

We've seen these steps help people out in the past with the same issue you're having. However, if you're still having trouble after trying those steps, please don't hesitate to reach back out and let us know.

For others who are still experiencing issues after performing our steps above, please feel free to reach out to us in a private message for more assistance! On our profile, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello there, @Avery_isdop309! We see you're reporting some trouble with an error message on your headset about a lack of storage, as well getting a software update through. All user should be able to enjoy all the new features and bug fixed the newest update has to offer, so we're glad to share some insight to get your headset back up and running! 

By the way, we noticed you had mentioned running into that "No Command" screen when attempting to factory reset the headset. This indicates that there may have been a slip up in when going through the reset process. We recommend making sure the volume down (-) button is being held at the same time as the power button. You may need to hold both of these buttons down together for about a minute until the Boot screen pops up with further options. Here are those complete factory reset directions (be sure your headset is fully charged before completing these steps):

1. Turn off your headset.
  2. Hold the power and volume (-) button on your headset down simultaneously until the boot screen loads on your headset.
  3. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Factory Reset and press the power button.
  4. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Yes and press the power button.
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, hello, @Avery_isdop309! We're reaching back out to check in on that issue you were reporting with a "lack of storage" error message on your headset, as well as your headset not being able to complete a software update. It's pretty important to us that this problem is properly addressed and you're able to get back to fully enjoying the virtual world! Let us know if you still need assistance in regards to your headset, and we'll be glad to continue from there! Be sure to include the result from those steps in our last message for reference. We'll be keeping an eager out for your next update!

Hey I have the same no command issue and it won't let me open the boot loader I have tried everything literally is there anything I could do to fix it? It's only on my older quest 2 but it's updates to the latest firmware

Hey there @X3MyonderXXX  ! Hope you're having a fantastic day! We're sorry this issue is ongoing for you, as we definitely want to get you back to gaming as soon as possible. We hate to hear that you are having trouble with opening the boot loader menu after factory resetting your device. No worries though, we'd love to look into this matter for you. Shoot us a PM so that we can continue to better assist you with getting this resolved. At this time, please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed in to the community first to send us a private message. We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you on this.

Hey there! We're just following up with you to see if you still need assistance. If so, feel free to reach back out and we'll be happy to assist you. We hope you have a great day!

Why does everything have to be done by private message? Surely if there is a solution to this, then it would be better if everyone knew about it.

BTW. I discovered I could do a factory reset of the Quest2 using the Oculus Mobile App, which fortunately worked. (Using the power button and volume button held down together did not work - just gave me the "No Command" message.)

Hey there @AndrewBindon! We've noticed that you're worried about why we request customers to go to PM for issues that everyone else is experiencing. We want to assure you that we prioritize our users' privacy and security, and we have strict policies in place regarding how we access their information. We're also happy to hear that you found a solution to the "No command" message. This will help other users know that the problem has been resolved. If you have any more questions about what lies ahead, feel free to contact us anytime!

jonnyqtrek
Honored Guest

Make certain you're holding down volume down (left side of Volume controls) and not Volume up (right side). If you hold power and volume up it will give you "no command"

I am getting this blank screen as well. I have factory reset it multiple times through the device and through the app on my phone. The only time I am able to see something is when I hold power button to shut it down and the "Power off" window alone comes up. Then it goes right back into the blank screen. I need help with this. Thanks

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?