cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files of my mom that died on my Quest but forgot my Pattern.

FamBitMe
Honored Guest

Hello, over a year ago, we put some VR footage of my mother that we made with our VR camera. After she died, I looked through all of my computers for these files and realized that they are on my Meta Quest 2. I excitedly charged it up, and was in shock that there was a pattern that I set. I have spent hours trying every combination but nothing is working. Everywhere that I read says that you need to do a factory reset, but I need to get these files off of the device first. If I lose these, I will absolutely destroyed. I went through a terrible depression losing her as well as my dog at that time. This is causing me to feel a crushing fear. I am concerned that it may also not be connecting to a server properly to confirm the code. I will explain below, along with the current issues that I have trying to change the pattern.

- I downloaded the Quest App and logged in.

- The device shows my Quest 2 at the top of the page. It says it needs app updates.

- When I click on it, it has a menu on the bottom slide up with my Meta Quest 2.

- It shows connected, it has a sting of letters and numbers.

- Once I click that, it opens the device page, but it says "Not Connected".

- As the "Meta Quest Pattern reset page" states on the Quest when you fail the input, I should be able to select the "Headset Settings" to proceed. However, when I do, the page is blank.

- I have bluetooth enabled on my phone and I have also tried with the wifi off. I have turned off and on the bluetooth, restarted my phone and the Quest and still no result.

- If I add another device, it finds my Quest right away, it says that it has found the pairing code was detected automatically. However, this page stays the same for hours with a spinning progress wheel.

Now, one possible issue is that when the Quest 2 was used last, it was on a different wifi SSID and a different password. I am worried that the device may be defaulting to using Wifi instead of the Bluetooth? What would happen if I removed my current Device, then added it again? I am assuming that it still will not connect to the app.

Is there any way that I can extract my data from the device? This is absolutely imperative. 

2 REPLIES 2

TheAntiSocializer
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hey @FamBitMe! I know how important it is to have your family's footage after a loved one has passed.

I've been looking and asking around if there's any way to get to the files in the headset without needing the pattern but I haven't been able to get a concrete answer. The best option I was provided from our internal team was a factory reset to be able to get into the headset but I know that's not a route we're looking to take here since it would get rid of the files you're wanting.

I think the best thing I can personally recommend would be to make a post in our Ideas boards. This way our engineers can get a closer look into the software idea and potentially implement it in a future update.

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

FamBitMe
Honored Guest

Okay, ill get around to posting there. Anything else you can come up with, let me know.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?