cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for Sensor Disconnection Issue

cybereality
Grand Champion
We've just started rolling out a possible fix for the repeated sensor disconnection issue. This is a problem that could cause the sensor to disconnect while idle on certain hardware configurations. Although we had some trouble reproducing the exact problem in our lab, we have a good idea of what the core issue was and believe it may be resolved.

Some customers have already received the update, and everyone else should have it within a few hours. The update should happen automatically, but you'll have to just unplug and replug the sensor to reset its state.

I'd recommend people wait until later this evening to test and see if the fix actually resolves their issue. Either way, please report back so we can understand if the fix was a success. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
304 REPLIES 304

Turranius
Explorer

It would also help to get some additional information that's not in the logs.

Asus Z-97 motherboard. Using onboard USB (2 and 3).

Oh,and I just read this from the original post:
"This is a problem that could cause the sensor to disconnect while idle on certain hardware configurations."
Mine is certainly not idle. It happens when I'm playing as well, moving my head.

My guess is that you introduced two scenarios where it would disconnect. The one while idle is perhaps fixed but not the "in use" problem. Come to think of it, I no longer see the "Sensor disconnected" message pop up when I'm NOT playing the rift anymore. I only get the disconnects while playing now.
When I was not playing and it started popping up, it really spammed so much that I would just disconnect the sensor to get it to shut up. Now it has been connected since the last update and no disconnects (when not playing).

And no, I will not purchase another USB card to test something that has been working for months before the rewrite of the USB code or whatever it was 😃 I'll just leave the Oculus on the shelf.

Ryder35
Protege
Would be really nice if oculus let us roll back to 1.6 while they fix the problem. If it works on 1.6 it would tell us something and let us use our rifts while we wait for a fix.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@cybereality new logs after a complete clean windows format and re-install. Continuing to fail.

The support staff handling my ticket said: 

The latest logs you've provided show the exact same errors and issues as your previous logs. The errors include permissions access issues, the Windows Update service failing, and some errors related to system hardware disconnecting. I also notice a few system critical errors, but without more intimate information on the workings and configuration of your computer, it's difficult for me to be more specific regarding the cause or nature of these errors.

This is why I recommend a complete reinstall. In order to do this, you will need to wipe your drive, and install Windows from a fresh copy. Please ensure you do not use any system restore, re-imaging, or other refresh service. Any method other than the one I've described will preserve the errors I've seen in both sets of logs so far, and you will continue to experience issues with the Oculus Rift until these errors are resolved.

Apparently, they felt the RefreshWindowsTool.exe doesnt do a sufficiently "clean" re-installation.

I went ahead and did another Windows install, this time directly form installation media and formatting the system partition.

After windows was installed and system update run to get everything current I downloaded and installed the current Oculus runtime Version 1.7.0.263882 (1.7.0.270909).  GeForce drivers 368.81 and running with the Microsoft USB drivers (did not install the Fresco logic, but can try that next).

Then I setuip iRacing and did some tests.  It continues to fail.

The pattern I am seeing is:

Message from Oculus runtime: HDMI Disconnected
Message from Oculus runtime: Sensor not found
System sound effects for USB connect/disconnect

The last time there was also a Windows alert saying that the last device connected was not recognized.

To reiterate, my CV1 worked fine for months and then last week it started having these dropouts.  No hardware changes were made before that.  My main problem is dropouts in ranked iRacing sessions, but testing with other VR applications the same issues present.

The only things that were updated around the time when my issues started were:

Oculus runtime 1.7.0.263882 (1.7.0.270909) on 8/29
Windows update KB3176938 installed on 9/2 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3176938
Windows update KB3176936 installed on 8/25 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3176936

cybereality
Grand Champion
@Robertsmania Definitely try with the updated vendor USB drivers for your machine.

@scstudios Are you using the Xbox One controller wireless adapter or a USB cable? 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
Cyber has oculus support been actively dealing with Microsoft about their windows update?

cybereality
Grand Champion
We are in contact with Microsoft, but (at this point) it's not clear where the problem is.

gokoolfl
Honored Guest
Is there a possibility these problems could be related to the proximity sensor of some sort? Were there any changes made in the recent oculus home update? I've read possible Windows 10 au update, but I've been on win 7 @ the time I started encountering these problem and honestly my pc hadn't received any updates in over a year

scstudios
Honored Guest

@Robertsmania Definitely try with the updated vendor USB drivers for your machine.

@scstudios Are you using the Xbox One controller wireless adapter or a USB cable? 

I am using the xbox controller wired.  After day 2, no issues with disconnects at all.  So, now I cant use the xbox controller, but its solid.

Lukesv
Explorer
After weeks of tests , i finally found the cause of the sensor disconnections ( at least for my case ) : the sunlight . If I use Rift in the dark, I have no problem . Instead of during the day, with sunlight through the window, disconnections start again . Support asks me to send back the sensor for replacement. I hope this post can help other users with the same problem.

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer

Lukesv said:

with sunlight through the window, disconnections start again . Support asks me to send back the sensor for replacement.

Hi there!

Maybe you should follow this advice? I mean that tracking accuracy may be degraded by sunlight sounds reasonable but that the device drops the USB connection because of it does not. Chances are the problem becomes worse over time if really something is wrong with your sensor.

I would take the chance they offered and try with a new sensor.

Greets!