cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GAMES WON'T UPDATE

thickbeard
Explorer
I have a reoccuring problem of games needing an update, but it won't install the update. It downloads the update file, but once it goes into install mode it cancels. I click the update button again, same thing, it downloads the file but cancels on install. 

I just reinstalled Oculus. Still won't work. This happened to me a couple months ago and I deleted everything on my computer and reinstalled oculus to get it to work. I really don't want to do that again. 
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Guys just search the Forum please...Use Regscanner to clear "Oculus". Install Oculus with AV=OFF. Oculus please change your Default Installation of Main Program to avoid OS Folders. Enjoy 😉 
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/74027/games-wont-update

WolfBoy980
Explorer

MAC_MAN86 said:

Guys just search the Forum please...Use Regscanner to clear "Oculus". Install Oculus with AV=OFF. Oculus please change your Default Installation of Main Program to avoid OS Folders. Enjoy 😉 
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/74027/games-wont-update

You mean uninstalling Oculus and deleting a bunch of Oculus folders after backing up your games and reinstalling to a second drive?

I personally don't want my programs on an external drive, I've already used up all my USB ports. Besides, an external drive is too slow if its not an expensive solid state one. Most people don't have one, nor should there be an expectation to install it on an external drive just to have software that was previously working properly.

That's not a solution, its a work around. Oculus should be fixing this problem by readjusting the installation process to avoid permission conflicts instead of claiming it "seems specific to your setup". If seven game launchers on my PC can update my content flawlessly, so should Oculus.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Install to C: but not any system folder but you lose the advantage of all Games and Software working in any event of a fresh OS install. You can do the same for 1 Drive by creating a 2nd Partition.

Look mate, this is PC VR and needs an expensive setup. If it doesn't have say an SSD as is best for OS then a HybridDrive for storage then you vastly limit how much you can have for VR. SSD need half of the space to keep moving the files around by auto cycle each month as that's how they work to keep their data. If you clog up that space with games then it simply will not run VR let alone it start to eat into your available Virtual RAM. Most of us are serious about VR.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Don't wanna get too excited yet but think this issue might have
been resolved with the latest windows feature update not an oculus
update as i'm still on 1.37 but my beat saber hasn't wanted to update
for nearly a week now and I haven't bothered uninstalling and
reinstalling but after the windows update I went into oculus and it
already updated it, thank god, so just hope this happens with all the
other stuck games I had issues with before

So must of definately been a windows permission thing

Now just to wait for oculus update and see if it helps with rift s issue
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

WolfBoy980
Explorer

Nij said:

Don't wanna get too excited yet but think this issue might have
been resolved with the latest windows feature update not an oculus
update as i'm still on 1.37 but my beat saber hasn't wanted to update
for nearly a week now and I haven't bothered uninstalling and
reinstalling but after the windows update I went into oculus and it
already updated it, thank god, so just hope this happens with all the
other stuck games I had issues with before

So must of definately been a windows permission thing

Now just to wait for oculus update and see if it helps with rift s issue

I'm having similar results, I just let the software be, and the problem disappeared. I wouldn't take this as a sign it was fixed though, it just may be dumb luck for now.

bagasten
Explorer
I just got this problem as well a game started to update and then never finished. I can't cancel it I can't redownload it in the store. The system I am running on is for VR only I don't run any other application on it beside default install of windows 10, default install of Oculus, default install of steam, Skyrim and Chrome which I try not to use at all. I can not believe that this setup is too radical or different for things not to work. It is clear that there is an error in a data file that is preventing this process and is an Oculus error. What is the time line to fix this issue? How can we workaround it without having to uninstall and reinstall the whole system? If you can not fix this can I at least get a refund on the game that is failing until you can fix the problem as I can not play it?

WolfBoy980
Explorer

bagasten said:

I just got this problem as well a game started to update and then never finished. I can't cancel it I can't redownload it in the store. The system I am running on is for VR only I don't run any other application on it beside default install of windows 10, default install of Oculus, default install of steam, Skyrim and Chrome which I try not to use at all. I can not believe that this setup is too radical or different for things not to work. It is clear that there is an error in a data file that is preventing this process and is an Oculus error. What is the time line to fix this issue? How can we workaround it without having to uninstall and reinstall the whole system? If you can not fix this can I at least get a refund on the game that is failing until you can fix the problem as I can not play it?

Although it may seem like a specific game's fault, its not. The Oculus Store software is to blame. The game that fails to update seems to be entirely random. By my experience, resetting or refreshing your computer doesn't make the problem go away either. Oculus has proven several times that they don't know how to solve this issue, and don't have any interest in attempting to. So there is no timeline for them to fix the issue. 

One fix that seems to work is uninstalling the software completely (including registry and leftover data that isn't wiped from just uninstalling it) and reinstalling the Oculus software on an external storage device. The bug seems to be linked to windows permissions. A user made these somewhat confusing instructions if you're willing to get nitty gritty with it: 

MAC_MAN86 said:

YUP! It's due to Windows Permissions. Creating another User Profile didn't work.
What you must do is REMOVE/REINSTALL OCULUS (ideally to not recur again) TO 2nd DRIVE

Please note that this removes
any currently eligible games from having automated refunds processed. You can
look into requesting refunds, and what's accepted for such by clicking here.

Disconnect your computer from the internet.

Backup any necessary content. (GAME SAVES & KEY BINDS!!!)

·        
You can find steps on how to do so by clicking
here

Reboot into Safe Mode.

Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.

Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:

·        
C:\Program Files

6a.   
Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:

·        
These may be hidden folders that require viewing to be
enabled.

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming

·        
C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache\

·        
C:\Users<profile>\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup\

6b   Delete any Games and also all their Folders you can find in the same mentioned

6c   Use REGSCANNER (free) to search "Oculus" and delete all registries that it can (leave Steam & SteamVR) but leave Virtual Desktop alone (mine won't work after 2 further installs and deleting some of it's Registries!)

Restart your computer in normal mode.

Reconnect your computer to the internet.

Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our
website here

10.  Install Games/Apps

·        
Ensure that Oculus is set as a trusted program in your
firewall (automatic) and that your anti-virus is temporarily disabled (I use Defender) or uninstalled. I added steps 6b and 6c myself to be sure.

i.e. THERE IS NO FIX FOR OCULUS DIRECTING YOUR INSTALL ONTO YOUR OS DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, to install OCULUS to 2nd DRIVE:

Open CMD Prompt in "Run"
Go to directory of your Setup file e.g. "E:/"
"cd Downloads"
(whatever the directory is called you have it in)
"OculusSetup.exe /drive=E"

Empanadas
Explorer
I have been plagued with this stupid problem for months. Before that my virtual desktop was not working at all. I spent several WEEKS going back and forth with Oculus support to pinpoint the problem. They finally decided "I needed to reinstall Windows" which I said 1. that is not happening and 2. I still think it's a rights issue with Windows/Oculus since I have no other issues with anything else.

Lo and behold, a user on the forums answered my plea for help and pointed out I had to add myself as a power user under netplwiz (making myself an admin didn't work). Now, once again it is Oculus at fault for what should be a relatively simple problem to fix. I only play VRchat and I have to load it directly from the games folder rather than from the library menu as "VRchat needs to update". Support informed me that they have no ties with the development team and would be unable to relay ANY information to them. Oculus support is USELESS past telling me something any tech support line will say like "restart your computer and reinstall software". Don't expect me to purchase any other Oculus product in the future if you can't fix a rights issue with windows or instruct users on a workaround.

Finally, NO, I WILL NOT RUN AS AN ADMIN USER. This has been a stupid practice that has developed with Windows users over years of complacency. I have avoided 99% of headaches by not running my main windows account as an elevated user.

Sir_Pumpaloaf
Honored Guest
In Virus and Threat Protection Settings you need to set an Exclusion under Exclusions->Add or Remove Exclusion->Add a Folder Exclusion  @ c:\Program Files\Oculus