cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 980 Problem ever solved? CV1 - HDMI-> MiniDisplayPort

PeterKojesta
Explorer
It simply doesn't work it seems.

I have a laptop with the desktop GTX 980 graphics card. The HDMI flat out does not work with the rift. I don't have a display port, only a mini-display port. When I use the recommended HDMI->Mini display port adapter, I get horrible red lines over the image, like this: http://i.imgur.com/Q6b4wYO.jpg 

Basically, it's unusable. Was there ever a solution for this problem?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

cybereality
Grand Champion
Do you have a USB Type-C port on the laptop? One other user had a similar problem and the Apple Type-C-to-HDMI adapter worked.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

View solution in original post

a_pike
Honored Guest
I am using this Cirago miniDP -> HDMI 4k with an Asus G701VO (full 980 graphics.) The HDMI port will not work with the Oculus, but the miniDP works fine with that adapter. If you haven't tried that Cirago, give it a shot. Microcenter stocks them if you happen to have one nearby. Note that I also tried a Sabrent 4k adapter that did -not- work. So it is really hit or miss.

For what it's worth, we have also been using an Aorus X7 DT (full 980) which works beautifully with Oculus on the HDMI port. So it is possible with some laptops, but apparently not all manufacturers are using the card in the same way. I've read that the integrated graphics is conflicting with the HDMI port. Agreed that the manufacturers should should -not- be marketing them as VR ready given the current state of things.

It will be interesting to see how the new mobile 1070s and 1080s work; hopefully better.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
Pretty sure there's no support help for laptops. More than likely your best bet is to order a bunch of different passive adapters and hope one of them works, sending the rest back as they are shown inoperable. The fact that you get image means it should work but there's loss in signal or some other distortion that current adapter is causing. This is speculation and is the best advice I can think of for solving your laptop/rift issues, since they aren't supported. Maybe someone else who has a laptop and sees this post can offer another solution.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Do you have a USB Type-C port on the laptop? One other user had a similar problem and the Apple Type-C-to-HDMI adapter worked.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

PeterKojesta
Explorer
Optic: I did try a bunch, no joy. Thanks for answering though, I appreciate it.

Cyber, I think I may have a type-C USB:  http://i.imgur.com/PIqmqlI.jpg though it seems small. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

PeterKojesta
Explorer
I tested it with a type-c connector, and it does not work. I've exhausted every known method (i tried the others on this forum). So, poof,~$3k laptop down the drain.

This is very frustrating, Oculus should not have listed the laptop on their site if it did not work. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
@PeterKojesta I don't believe there are any laptops shown on the Oculus website. Some companies have chosen to market "VR Ready" laptops that may or may not be "Oculus Ready" as those are two different things. We are still investigating these new laptops to see if anyone of them are compatible, but right now it's kind of a gamble. Really sorry.

PeterKojesta
Explorer
Perhaps I misconstrued something I read on the site regarding laptops (or the min spec) - I searched the wayback machine but there's too much to sift through for evidence to back up my claim - maybe some internet sleuths will find it some day.

Mind you, this article on the subject of my graphics card is worth considering:http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984573/components/nvidia-hits-gaming-milestone-true-desktop-performa... 

Specifically:  "That’s right, there’s no ‘m.’ The new GPU is essentially the same as putting a desktop GeForce GTX 980 into a laptop. In fact, Nvidia said, the new laptop GPU is the exact same desktop chip".

This begs the questions; if this laptop I have has a desktop graphics card in it, a straight up GTX 980, why doesn't it work?

a_pike
Honored Guest
I am using this Cirago miniDP -> HDMI 4k with an Asus G701VO (full 980 graphics.) The HDMI port will not work with the Oculus, but the miniDP works fine with that adapter. If you haven't tried that Cirago, give it a shot. Microcenter stocks them if you happen to have one nearby. Note that I also tried a Sabrent 4k adapter that did -not- work. So it is really hit or miss.

For what it's worth, we have also been using an Aorus X7 DT (full 980) which works beautifully with Oculus on the HDMI port. So it is possible with some laptops, but apparently not all manufacturers are using the card in the same way. I've read that the integrated graphics is conflicting with the HDMI port. Agreed that the manufacturers should should -not- be marketing them as VR ready given the current state of things.

It will be interesting to see how the new mobile 1070s and 1080s work; hopefully better.

PeterKojesta
Explorer
Hi Pike, thanks I'll give that one a try (micro center in walking distance). So far all the others ones have failed, hopefully this is better somehow.

PeterKojesta
Explorer
it worked a.Pike!  Thank you! 
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?