cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! my 3.0 USB port doesn't recognize quest 2 but my 2.0 USB port does.

IFOXTERRTORY
Explorer

Hello i've  run into a problem where my 3.0 USB ports don't recognize my quest 2 when i plug it in. nothing happens, no sound, no anything but when i plug it in the 2.0 USB port it recognizes it, makes a sound and everything and on quest it asks for permission and stuff which doesn't happen with 3.0

i have 2 3.0 USB ports and they work perfectly fine they charge, read data, and recognize other devices but for someone reason they don't react to quest 2 at ALL. it used to work perfectly fine.

please if anyone has any fixes or suggestions please help. thank you and sorry for bad english

12 REPLIES 12

vrvbird
Protege

You don't say what OS you are using! anyways this could be due to many things but mostly:

1-bad/non compatible usb cable

2-Usb port problem on PC (But you say you have tried them all)

Once you connect the headset to the USB port reboot the PC and see once it is rebooted if it recognizes your quest?

also if you are on windows after connecting the quest open device manager and do a refresh/search for hardware changes.

And last if you have access to another PC @ home or a friend try and see if it works with another PC

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

Suggestion: Install USB drivers from your motherboard's manufacturer.

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit. if it was a non compatible cable it shouldn't have worked at the first place, I used the cable with other devices through that port and it works perfectly fine and when i used another cable to connect the quest to the 3.0 port it also got recognized again. for some reason the combination of these 3 doesn't work for some reason. i live in iran so buying these cables is extremely expensive so it's not an option. i just bought all of these 4 days ago

vrvbird
Protege

The fact that your usb cable worked with another device dose not give 100% insurance that it will work with your quest. I bought a cheap 3 meter cable that works perfect with my quest 2 from amazon (19 euros). Before that I got a more expensive one that did not work and had to send back for exchange!  That older cable worked fine with usb HDD that I had at home and not with the quest. Best option would be to try your cable on another PC or if possible try another cable with your PC (if a laptop take it to a shop to test cable before buying). Keep in mind that cable quality is important as there are cases where people have the cable work and connect to their PC but get mediocre speeds. 

the cable is 100% not broken it is working with everything. i bought the best quality i checked before buying it had a speed of 5gb and it was wroking really good and it worked for about 3 days without a problem. yesterday the ports just stopped recognizing the quest with this cable but it is still recognizable by the other ports and other devices. the problem is the software....but again if it was the software the quest shouldn't work with other cables in the 3,0 port as well. i don't know it's really confusing.... i mean why would the cable work perfectly fine when i connect my Nintendo switch or phone through it to the 3.0 port but not with the quest 2? and why would the quest and the cable work together when i connect them to a diffrent port? and why would the quest work with a different cable when i plug it in the 3.0? you see what i'm saying? you can cross out the part that doesn't work by replacing it but all of them work so it must be a software problem right?

Hey there! We appreciate you sharing your concern with us. We appreciate the details you have provided us with, as well. When reading this we did happen to have a question for you. Have you been able to update your USB drivers? If not we would like to provide you with the steps to do so: 

Reminder: We do advise our gamers to have Windows 10 as the operating system of their PC. 

Way 1: Through Device Manager

1. Press Windows + X and select Device Manager to open Windows Device Manager. 

2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers category. 

3. Right- click your USB device and select Update driver. 

4. Click Search automatically for updated driver software. Windows will automatically search and download the latest USB driver on your Windows 10 computer. 

Way 2: Through Windows Update.

1. Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
  2. Click Update & Security and click Windows Update.
  3. Click Check for updates button, and Windows will automatically detect and install the available updates for your operating system including available newest USB drivers.

We want to make sure you are taken care of, so please feel free to reach out to us via private message. We will be able to have one-one-one time with you and work through this together! Wishing you the best! 

Please click here  or on our name to get to our profile page, then click "Send a Message" to privately contact us. Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

i have already tried that, it says they are already up to date

i have g17 ASUS laptop i didn't find the link for the USB 3.0 driver downloads do you have a link?

Good hearing back from you! 

Thank you for your feedback on the steps you have taken. We do want to point out; that we can't always guarantee that 3rd party link cables will always work with the Oculus devices.

We need to look into this further, so we advise you to private message us. We want to have a one-on-one with you and get more detailed information on this matter. We know how important this is for you, so we hope to hear back from you at your earliest convenience! 

Please click here or on our name to get to our profile page, then click "Send a Message" to privately contact us. Please remember, that you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!