cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hand Prefabs are attached to Controllers

Andre_Desira
Explorer

I started experimenting with unity to grab and interact with objects. I am using Oculus Integration and available Oculus prefabs "OVRControllerPrefab" for quest 2 controllers and "OVRCustomHandPrefab" for hand tracking. The hand tracking works great the problem is when I switch to the controllers, the controller prefabs also display hand models attached to them. If I unselect the mesh of the prefab from the hierarchy then the hand models are not visible on both the controller and when I want them to. Should I do changes to the script or is there some wrong setting in the hierarchy?

image.pngimage.png

When I use "OVRHandPrefab" instead they work as intended and do not appear attached to the controller but the custom hands look better. Additionally, OVRHandPrefab do not appear visible on the Scene screen unlike the other ones. Maybe I should be using "OVRRuntimeController"? But when I toggle only that one with controllers set as L Touch and Left Hand etc no prefab appears.

The Hierarchy is as follows:

image.png

All scripts are the original ones provided by Oculus and the Inspector settings should be as indicated by Oculus. After all, as I said OVRHandPrefab works as intended along with OVRControllerPrefab but I rather use the custom one. Thanks in advance for your help

6 REPLIES 6

d0x360
Protege

Hierarchy looks fine I would check the scripting. 

ROG Crosshair x670e extreme motherboard & Ryzen 7950x3d// 64 gigs DDR5 6800mhz CL28-30-30-78 dual channel 1T// RTX 4090 // 5x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB m.2 SSD's// 6x (RAID10) 4TB WD Black SATA SSD's// Seagate Barracuda 8TB HDD // Custom loop liquid cooling //

Having just started and still experimenting with unity, I highly doubt I can understand let alone fix a bug in Oculus's script. 😕

Hey, don't sell yourself short.  I taught myself how to code when I was 16 and (this is going to sound ridiculous) but I did it without any real help and I practiced by making programs that would let you do fun stuff on AOL & AIM.  

The biggest way I learned was by fixing bugs in other people's code.... And most of them didn't indent or comment.

It's also possible I'm wrong about the hierarchy.  Im more of a cryengine guy with some UE4 & Red Engine mixed in.

I think valve has released lots of open vr documentation and while the index is different in many ways there are still plenty of things to learn because steam vr is just open vr with some tweaks.

ROG Crosshair x670e extreme motherboard & Ryzen 7950x3d// 64 gigs DDR5 6800mhz CL28-30-30-78 dual channel 1T// RTX 4090 // 5x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB m.2 SSD's// 6x (RAID10) 4TB WD Black SATA SSD's// Seagate Barracuda 8TB HDD // Custom loop liquid cooling //

Thanks for the motivational boost. Yeah, I am also learning mostly through youtube rn, Unity and Oculus documentation don't really help with 1 line code snippets, I would need visual and concrete examples.

I'm quite persistent so I'm sure I'll find a way somehow but I don't want to waste hours or days searching and scouring the net for a solution that would take 1 minute to fix. But I guess that's what Software Development is all about...yeyyy 😅😒

Alekstsnomad
Honored Guest

I take it that no solution has been found?

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Alekstsnomad! We noticed you had some controller tracking issues when using Oculus Integration. We'd love to redirect them to our Developer Support site so that they can take a deeper look into why this is occurring. Please feel free to reach back out if you have anymore questions, as we'd love to answer them for you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!