cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Height Changes, Guardian Moving, and other tracking issues (3 sensor setup) Possibly faulty sensor.

coderzero
Explorer
So, I've been going back and forth since I received my third sensor. My original problem was find the right setup to reduce the amount of occlusion I was getting. Then... the troubles started.

Initially I thought it may have been an issue with my sensor configuration since it start as minimal height changes and tracking weirdness.... as time has progressed the tracking.

As of this writing while the troublesome sensor is plugged in has gotten much worse - to the point where it's currently unplugged as having this sensor plugged in would cause severe disorientation.  Height changes and world orientation changes every time you turn your head. 

It has been odd to watch this progression and I have concluded that it must be the sensor is faulty, no amount of usb cards, usb port configuration, sensor configuration etc... resolve this issue. It took a while to get to this point but I'm 99% sure the issue is caused by a bad sensor. Currently, I have 4 distinct, compatible, usb controllers. The two working sensors can be plugged into any of these without any issues. When I try the default 2 sensor config with any USB the tracking troubles begin.

Funny thing is the sensor that seems the sensor that seems to have gone bad is one that came with either the headset or the touch controllers. Does anyone know a definitive way to figure out which of these it came with?

To those out there experiencing height changes, and weird world shifting issues I recommend you do some testing and make sure you aren't in the same boat as me, a bad sensor. 

I've ordered ANOTHER sensor to double check my theory as the wait time for support seems astronomical. Worst case scenario I'll have another extra sensor. 

The cherry on top of all of this is that now the right headphone has stopped producing sound unless its moved up on the slider a certain amount.... Still waiting to hear back on this too 😉 I don't really like the ear in headphones so I'm hoping I can get a replacement right headphone? (@cybereality is this possible?) 
24 REPLIES 24

coderzero
Explorer

coderzero said:

Hey guys, just to give an update to what i've experienced so far. I've returned and rebought a rift+touch. Had to return my original rift since my right headphone went out. After receiving the new hardware some of the issues continued to persist.

I did a complete tear down on pc which included removing a sandisk ssd that was apparently causing high dpc latency. After performing that step the situation has improved dramatically.

I'm guessing what we have here is a combination of hardware/software config + oculus software that needs a bit more cooking to be able to handle all production environments out there gracefully. Until Oculus is able to provide more detailed diagnostics I suggest running the dpc latency checker and going through the torturous process of eliminating as many factors as possible.  Just for reference the SSD that was causing high latency was a (sandisk sd8sb8u-1t00-1122). The programs I used are dpclat and latency mon, the former being more useful for me. 

One thing I have noticed is that if you "skip" the orientation step and the guardian setup, I don't seem to experience any weirdness at all. Obviously I can't tell if the guardian boundaries are shifting since there aren't any but I definitely don't have any adjustments in my height like I did before.

Hope someone find this information useful, thanks for all the replies. We'll get there eventually!

Nope, tried taking out a sound card and 2 hard drives, left my system with the bare essentials and tried with and without setting up the orientation and didn't work, i'll probably try again tomorrow, this gets too annoying to keep trying after awhile

Sorry to hear that dude, I feel your pain since I went through almost the exact same steps... essentially rebuilt my computer one component at a time. I still have sporadic tracking issues from time to time but I figure at this point it has to be a software issue. 

I am eagerly awaiting the next update to see if any of these issues get better. Oculus should consider having an opt in for experimental builds so we can provide feedback. I fear that if an update is released and it doesn't solve issues for those experiencing them we'll be stuck back at square 1. Considering it's been over a month now since touch and 3 sensors setups have been available I would think they have some good data to work with. 

Flausn
Expert Protege
it worked without issues ...then 15.12., update since then it sux. come on why we have to deal with  this over a month now ???

Fadeeaway
Protege

Flausn said:

it worked without issues ...then 15.12., update since then it sux. come on why we have to deal with  this over a month now ???

The worst of it all is the lack of information on these forums from Oculus themselves. I love the product, but I doens't feel that they care about their customers enough.

TickTock
Heroic Explorer

metadane said:

@coderzero @TickTock Same here. My sensors are upside-down on the ceiling. I have never gotten a height (Z) error but I get very frequent translation/rotation XY shifts. I get the "Timed out waiting for camera" followed by "Sensor moved" warnings for all 3 cameras each time this happens.

I looted my childhood Erector Set to make this temporary fix.  I did this to all three sensors and the guardian shifts are gone.  Yay!  (Now I just need to find a reliable HDMI extender solution...)
dkycn2j6b5kc.jpg
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

Flausn
Expert Protege
its a shame the hmd is useless for a month now WTF !!!! oculus is the rift dying now ?