cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with "Extend Desktop to HMD"

oliv897
Honored Guest
Hello,

So I'm newbie here just got it this morning and loving it except I can only get Direct2Rift Apps to run!

I selected Extend Desktop but the Apps/Demos will only run on the Primary Desktop, I tried setting the Rift as Primary but I can't really see anything to click on anything!

My other problem was I dragged a windowed mode over (which breaks imersion) and there is no head tracking?

So yeah as you can see that's the troubles am facing... any ideas on how to get it to work?
3 REPLIES 3

danso
Honored Guest
Welcome to the club... I'm having the same problem, my rift won't display anything at all if I use "Direct HMD Access from Apps" only my main monitor will, so I have to use "Extended Desktop to HMD" to be able to see anything in the rift at all but then, just like yourself, I have to mess around switching main monitors and the head tracking doesn't work for me. My camera doesn't seem to turn on at all.

If I find a fix, I'll let you know but until then, all I can suggest is you check out the following games/demos in the meantime so you have something to do, as these all utilize DirectToRift and should work fine for you without any messing around:

Beneath - Minecart ride.
Chilling Space - Fun little asteroid blaster.
Crystal Rife - Interesting dungeon explorer game.
Cyber Space - Amusement ride! My favourite one so far!
Hell Waltzer - WARNING: This one made me feel sick.
Lava_Inc - Awesome little portal-esque rollercoaster.

This game was suggested to me by someone on the forums, it's not direct to rift but if you go in to options > view and select 3D - Oculus Rift, then restart the game and it should automatically work. Runs fine for me so might be worth giving it a go, it's amazing! ---> Live For Speed - Very good quality VR racing game.

I'm able to play any game that has it's own rift support so it's worth giving those titles a go if you have any. All of my steam games work, so I've been enjoying Euro Truck Simulator and various flight sims. I purchased VorpX and that works fine too, so the vast number of titles that support that are working such as outlast, which is absolutely terrifying in VR.

Sorry that I couldn't be of anymore help but, hopefully you'll be able to at least test out your new Oculus on a few titles now. It seems to me that the problem could be something to do with "Direct HMD Access from Apps" and Unity applications not recognising the Rift nor camera for some reason, even though there's nothing wrong with them as they're clearly plugged in and working fine as we're able to play other titles no problem. 😐

Maybe it's something to do with the display settings? I've found various posts with others who are having the same problem regardless of graphics card. I use AMD but have have spent a few hours messing around with pretty much everything display related in my Catalyst Control Centre and windows resolution settings, to no avail. Frustrating, feels like I'm doing something wrong but can't seem to find a solution anywhere.

coffee44
Explorer
If you have a windows keyboard (windows+Shift+arrow key) see if that shifts it from main monitor over to oculus.

danso
Honored Guest
"coffee44" wrote:
If you have a windows keyboard (windows+Shift+arrow key) see if that shifts it from main monitor over to oculus.

Unfortunately (for me, anyway) my rift doesn't even power on in direct mode, so I can't do this. Amber light and screens are off. There's simply no second monitor detected at all for me to move the application's display to.

In Extended mode this work but, the problem I have in extended mode is that the headtracking doesn't work.
Thanks anyway :cry: