cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with watching Netflix on the Virtual Desktop.

Shaun22685
Honored Guest
I'm having trouble figuring out how to watch Netflix on the virtual desktop app. I keep having a black screen when I go to play videos. If anyone could give me a simple step by step guide I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

Blyss4226
Rising Star
Hmm. That shouldn't happen, but it may be because of DRM in Netflix. Can you watch other sites(e.g. Youtube) successfully? I don't have a Netflix account to try, but Youtube and other sites work fine on VD, as well as videos in VLC or Tridef.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Shaun22685
Honored Guest
I'm able to watch videos on youtube.

Blyss4226
Rising Star
I would venture a guess it's DRM related then. It probably thinks you are trying to record the stream or capture it in some way. I can't be sure as I don't have Netflix as I said. But hopefully someone who does can confirm or deny.

I assume the video works fine on normal monitor?
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Shaun22685
Honored Guest
That's correct.

Blyss4226
Rising Star
Yeah, I'm definitely betting it's some DRM to prevent you from recording Netflix streams and distributing them. It's likely thinking the way VD captures the desktop to project into your Rift is an attempt to record. I'm almost certain that's the case.

If it is, you may be out of luck. Have you tried starting the video outside of Rift and VD, and once it's playing launching VD? That probably won't work either, but it's a thought.

KarlHungus
Protege
I was able to watch Netflix with Virtual Desktop.

The problem is the resolution was so poor it was pointless.. 

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star

Watching Netflix through Virtual Desktop works fine for everyone I know who tried it.

I doubt it's DRM, I'd check video drivers first and make sure you are in cinema mode second.

VizionVR
Rising Star
Try running Netflix in windowed mode. Some full screen games will often show a black screen, maybe Netflix is similar?
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Shaun22685
Honored Guest
Everything is up to date. I tried watching it windowed. Exactly what do you mean by cinema mode? Thanks everyone.