cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizontal lines like colored scanlines

VRSEB72
Expert Protege

Hi,

I know some users have already talked about this but I wanted to open a topic again on the issue of horizontal lines like scanlines that seem to affect many Quest 2s.

I had a 64 GB headset which worked fine.
I bought a 128 GB one and it is affected by the problem.
Lines are most noticeable on solid colors or light areas.

My headset was replaced, and thanks to the Oculus support team, but the new one is affected as well.

Moving the head gives a choppy look to the image.

We still don't have any specific information about this?

I found a perfect screenshot which illustrates the issue :

23 REPLIES 23

VRSEB72
Expert Protege

Is there any chance that issue could be fixed by firmware or system update ?

Even if I don't think it will be possible, because some headsets are not affected and some others are.

VRSEB72
Expert Protege

Oculus support contacted me to ensure my replacement headset works well, I informed them of the persistant issue. I'll keep the forum informed.

I am the same with you. I have a 64gb one and work fine. Last month I pick up a 128gb one and I found it has many scanlines like you. It really ruins my experience. Have you got the solution?

Hey there! We would like to thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. Not having the most joyous experience possible is something we don't like to hear coming from one of our members, especially when you are purchasing multiple devices for your enjoyment.

We would like to recommend that you first try to do a restart on your Quest 2, and the way you would do that is by pressing and holding the power button on the right side of your headset until you see the power off screen. 

Then select "Restart" and your headset will turn off and then turn back on. If you are unable to do so from within the headset, simply press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, wait 30 seconds, and the headset will turn back on.

If that first troubleshooting method did not resolve your issue, we can do a factory reset as a last resort. You have two ways of doing a factory reset. The first is through the Oculus application by going to devices, then advancing settings, and then pressing factory reset.

The second way is by using the headset and pressing and holding the power button and volume down button.

If the following troubleshooting steps did not work, then we would love it if you would place a support ticket with us so we can get your issue resolved.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

VRSEB72
Expert Protege

Hello, I'm back to give feedback on this issue.

Unfortunately there is no solution, but the Occulus Support team helped me.

I sent back my first 128 GB headset. The second one had the same issue, so I sent it back too.

The third one has the same issue but less proeminent, only on darker areas, so I chose to keep it as I'm not sure to obtain a better image quality and, with this one, scanlines are less disturbing. On the first two heasets they were also doing like a kind of vertical back and forth.

It seems the 128 GB headsets suffer from this default.

When answering the support survey, I mentionned it.

Thank you for your promptly reply.

Refer to your anwser, the problem still exists after replacement, I don't want to fight for it anymore, just keep it. I cannot sure if mine are the worst one. And do not want to test the lottery.

The scanlines mainly show on the yellow and blue.

VRSEB72
Expert Protege

With my first two headsets, the scanlines showed on light grey, yellow, orange or blue surfaces as you mention it.
For example in Arizona Sunshine it was very disturbing when looking at the sky or the rock landscapes. It was the same problem with some home environments like the desert terrace of the Quest 2.
And the scanlines were doing like a kind of vertical back and forth, it was even more disturbing.
With the third headset, scanlines show on dark blue, dark grey or dark green surfaces and it's less disturbing. And the scanlines don't do vertical mouvements.
It's better for me, not perfect, but it's better.

As you say, even if you send back your headset, you can't be sure the next one will solve the problem.

That's why I chose to keep this third headset.

I would like the Oculus R&D team to find a software solution, but I don't know if it's possible. Some users call it pixel inversion and say that other manufacturers solved it with their own headsets.

I just tried to play the arizona sunshine to figure how disturbing are. Scanlines is noticeable at the floor with orange, yellow and "skin like" colors. Blue sky and rock landscapes are not obviously that less disturbing.

I hope META can make a correction in firmware for pixel inversion. They can find the problem easily by checking the returns of quest 2 from replacement. For those who own quest 2 and live in non-RMA region.

Hi. Unfortunately, this problem occurs as soon as the home of the headset is open and persists in Oculus apps/games, even in Link mode.
It doesn't matter if we restart the headset or restore the factory settings, it persists.

It happened with three 128 GB headsets in my case, and other users complain about this problem on this forum or Reddit forums.

And on some headsets the scanlines move verticaly when you move your head, doing like a kind of vertical back and forth.
The third headset I received is also affected, but less than the two previous ones so I decided to keep it. But with the two previous ones, it was very disturbing so I understand what Elves_LI is experiencing.