cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible Stuttering Via Link

mcplane
Protege

I have recently upgraded my PC so that I can run DCS world in VR. However, whenever I'm running the game, right as I spawn in I get horrible stutters. Sometimes GPU usage touches 100% (See video) but the more unusual thing is the cpu usage usually hits 100. The video I took shows some of the glitchiness. It's pretty much unplayable. I've tried reinstalling the oculus app, done graphics driver updates, turned on and off dev mode, tried a new link cable, tried reducing graphics settings etc. The vr 'mirror' on my display never glitches like I see in the headset. Is it a faulty headset by chance? During the worst of it, the oculus service is reaching 40% cpu usage.

As an update, I lowered settings so none of my resources were even near 100%, and the headset still struggles with stuttering.

Specs: Quest 2/i7-9700K/RTX3070ti/64GB DDR4 Ram/1TB Nvme ssd/Oculus Link Cable (USB-C)

Stutter shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/BpkFULgqiNo 

24 REPLIES 24

Ya, I've always used OTT and on the global settings set OVR server priority to High. I do think it helps a bit. Also, with OTT game profiles I set each game cpu priority to high as well and this also seems to startup games a little faster.

With nvidia control panel 3d settings I set everything to defaults except power = prefer max performance, and I change the default Quality below that to High Performance.

Probably none of these by themselves has a significant impact, but together they do seem to result in better/smoother performance with Link and Air Link. Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

This is in windows settings/graphics settings, you add all of the important runtimes from the oculus folder and set the GPU to run those exe files in High Performance mode and all stutters go and everything runs extremley smooth.

Nothing to do with task manager that does nothing for me.

Check out the asus laptop youtube link i sent.

Cheers

@Roky360wrote:

This is in windows settings/graphics settings, you add all of the important runtimes from the oculus folder and set the GPU to run those exe files in High Performance mode and all stutters go and everything runs extremley smooth.

Nothing to do with task manager that does nothing for me.

Check out the asus laptop youtube link i sent.

Cheers

@Roky360What you've posted is a very good idea for laptops. By using the windows settings to ensure programs do not throttle back (like powered by a battery only) can help a lot. You can also do this by selecting the correct Windows Power Plan (usually high performance plan) where you can also go through these and finetune them with options like min/max cpu and gpu and disabling usb power savings. All those things can help reduce stuttering caused by performance throttling and/or power saving features. You can cover them both ways to make sure, including going to your windows device manager and disabling things like power savings on all your usb ports.

What I posted is sort of over and above that. That is to ensure that windows gives certain processes a high processing priority. Windows generally does a good job with this, much like it does setting a virtual memory page file. For me, adding these on some programs, esp. ovr server priority is a bit of icing on the cake.

For windows I've also found it useful to manually set the paging file size. This is only useful if you have a fast ssd drive and have enough free space on it. The formula I've use for many years is to size it according to your gpu's amount of Vram. I select the base amount as a minimum and add 2Gb as a maximum. So if your gpu has 8Gb of Vram I'd select 8Gb for min and 10Gb for max. I've found this also helps reduce stutter with some programs like flight sims that like to load a lot of scenery on the fly.

Again, most of these are things that have continues to help me with PCVR for a pretty long time and I thought it would be worth sharing this. Likewise, thanks for sharing your performance tips as well mate. Cheers.

PS; not sure why this forum editor is getting rid of my spaces between paragraphs?

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

I purchased a Desktop with a 3080rtx and a laptop with a 3080ti also rtx, for some reason on both i had stutters. When going into windows graphic settings the gpu was set on auto for all Oculus.exe files in the Program Files/Oculus folder when adding the manualy. For some reason this made VR stutter on both PC and Laptop connected via plug (Never used battery for gaming). I also have a PC with an older GTX card. With the GTX card i had no stutter. On both Laptop and PC with the RTX card i had to set this Manually through windows graphic settings even though power plan was already set to High Performance. I dont know if this was a bug on certain rigs or driver issues or what but that was the only way of getting rid of stutters this is after trying all of the methods as you have mentioned. There is a thread about VR stutters that has been around for a few years that i am on on the Nvidia forum where people cannot fix stutters on the RTX cards specifically whatever they try believing it is a bug or bad drivers, the video about setting all 4 Oculus.exe files to High Performance manually is for anyone who has tried everything known to man to get stutters to go but has had no success.

OVRRedir

OVRServer_64

OVRServiceLauncher

OculusClient

Set the 4 files above via Settings/Graphic Settings/Browse

Now add all 4.exe files from the Oculus folder, you will have to find these in there.

In folders Program Files/oculus-client - OculusClient.exe

Program Files/oculus-runtime -

OVRRedir

OVRServer_x64

OVRServiceLauncher

Once added in graphic settings manualy go to options and set graphic preferences to

High Performance

GPU: Nvidia RTX ****

Save

Also now you can head to the settings in SteamVR and open advanced settings tab/developer i believe and set runtime to Oculus.

This fixes whatever the issue is with framedrops on all RTX cards or skipping frame bug issue.

This fixed framedrop issue that happens i every game on various RTX cards. Some cards seem to be okay some seem to have the issue i had.

Thanks

Yes mine deletes my spaces also does the same on reddit and on Nvidia forum, not sure what this is about LOL thanks for your tips also, hopefully it will help someone out. Nothing worse than laggy VR, i was ready to give up. Now im playing F1 22 with ultra settings, if you haven't already it's a must, absolutely insane fun.