cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I pin Unknown Sources apps to the Universal Menu?

Sparkett3
Protege

I like that there's a way to customize the menu now, but when I go to Unknown Sources, I don't see the "Pin to Universal Menu" option in the menu next to those apps. So how do I pin them?

8 REPLIES 8

deejeevee
Heroic Explorer

Hi Sparkett3,

As far as I know, there is currently no way to pin or manually organize apps in the Apps menu. You can only:

• Sort: Recent, A-Z, Z-A
  • Filter: All, Meta Quest Apps, Installed, Updates, Not Installed, Demos, Tutorials, Unknown Sources

You can set the default filter and sort options here:
Settings > Personalization > App Library

If you want more control of your apps menu, you might consider Pi Launcher. (Note that it must be installed using SideQuest.)

» Get a $35 credit in Canada on a new Quest 2 or 3 — but you must use a referral link BEFORE you activate your new headset!
  (Works for the UK too, but if you're in the USA you should use a referral link from the USA due to certain restrictions.)
» Get 25% OFF games or earn $5! Learn how and see my game referral links here: How app referrals work

I'm not talking about rearranging apps in the apps menu. I'm referring to the little toolbar thing that appears underneath whatever windows are open, that (by default) has Explore, Store, etc. for quick access. The v47 update added a feature whereby you can customize which apps are displayed there. You click the menu button on an app (like where you'd go if you want to uninstall the app, for instance) and there's a new option "Pin to Universal Menu". But this option doesn't appear for apps in Unknown Sources; it just says Uninstall. I do have Pi Launcher installed; in fact, it's the app I want to pin. I know about the hack that's built into Pi Launcher that lets you pin it by overriding the Explore app, but sometimes it doesn't work, so I was hoping this would work better.

Hey there @Sparkett3, we see you are having issues adding apps to the quick access menu. We understand how inconvenient this may be. At this time, not all apps are able to be added to the universal menu and this is true for even unknown sources apps. 

We hope this information was helpful and please don't hesitate to hit us back up for any future concerns. Thank you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

What determines whether an app can be added to the universal menu? If I'm developing an app, what would I need to do to make it pinnable?

Since this is a problem with developing apps, it would be wise to use our developers assistance website rather than our forums. You could find that assistance here. We look forward to hearing your ideas and improving your experience. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Cool, I never noticed that option before! 👍

I agree, being able to pin Pi Launcher to the universal menu would be very convenient. Hopefully Meta will allow us to pin sideloaded apps in the future. 🙏

» Get a $35 credit in Canada on a new Quest 2 or 3 — but you must use a referral link BEFORE you activate your new headset!
  (Works for the UK too, but if you're in the USA you should use a referral link from the USA due to certain restrictions.)
» Get 25% OFF games or earn $5! Learn how and see my game referral links here: How app referrals work

Are you aware of the workaround Pi Launcher has for it? (Click the 'π' icon in the top right, then go to "System tweaks", then "App shortcut".)

Yeah, thanks, I have that enabled. 👍 And most of the time it works, but like you said, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I either use the regular Apps menu, or I restart the headset.

(Also, not all of the Meta apps show up in Pi Launcher, e.g. the Files app.)