cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will the windows 11 supported oculus?

Game11454
Explorer
15 REPLIES 15

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

How long is a piece of string?  Hopefully soon for both Oculus and SteamVR.  Probably by mid 2022 is my wild guess.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ohgrant
Superstar

I'd say that's a fair guess if that early. I've seen a lot of tech videos about Windows 11. It's adoption rate is really telling. It's currently one of the least used Windows.  Windows versions with more users= Win XP, Win 7, Win 8 and 8.1 still has more users.

I haven't seen any gamers singing the praises of Win 11, most I've seen are struggling to get the same performance as they were getting on Win 10. 

Being someone that has seen all Windows versions since 3.0, this is always how things have played out. Windows versions are like Star Trek movies, always a good bet that every other one will suck. With Win 10, we had the launch of DX12, good for gamers and a reason for many to upgrade. There is currently no advantage to having Win 11 for most home users and a detriment in its current state for gamers. 

With Win 11 adoption rate so low, and judging from how long it takes Oculus to even add support for newer gen video cards as they become available. Also with Oculus/Meta's focus being mostly on mobile and their metaverse initiative. Their PCVR software is not likely much of a priority as its working flawlessly for those that are sticking with Win 10 as they recommend.   

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

My understanding is that Quest has been working OK with W11 and Link but Rift-S has issues, seemingly related to USB drivers. I'm not saying that the support person is wrong there, but I'd wait for word here first. Particularly users who have been reporting problems, they're the best source of info.

I have no plans to change to W11, too many reviewers (non-VR related) are describing issues and instabilities, but for increasing numbers of people, it'll be pre-installed.

HighwaymanEd
Protege

I'm still getting horrible tearing and stuttering using Link with Windows 11... I'd say it's still far from supported.

For me, Windows 11 is performing much better than Windows 10 did in every aspect, except one... Link

Just had a chat with Oculus support. They have stated that it is NOT supported yet, and the official support page here: Oculus Link Compatibility will be updated to say Windows 11 when it is supported.

There's a workaround for the poor frame rate issue, but it's not ideal (you'll have to do it every time you use Link):

1. Open Oculus Debug Tool (it's usually found at C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe)
  2. From the Services menu, select "Toggle Console Window Visibility"
  3. A console window will appear. Use another program to make the console window appear Always On Top (you can try something like Microsoft PowerToys or DeskPins)
  4. Connect with Link and play games as normal

One last note about this is that this will not work if you have the new "Windows Terminal" set as your default terminal. This won't be an issue for you if you haven't installed the Windows Terminal from the Microsoft Store. If you have, you can change your default terminal app by searching for "Terminal settings" in the Start menu.

mvoosten
Protege

This does NOT work if the app is fullscreen as the terminal windows needs to be focused upon. Since I use mainly driving sims this is not a valid option.

This whole situation is idiotic. Windows 11 has been in beta for so long, so why the &&&^% isn't it supported out of the gate?

It should work in most cases. I haven't tried any driving sims but I have yet to find a game that the solution doesn't work with. Typically I just alt tab out and make the console window the active window. Maybe for your fullscreen app you can make it windowed instead?

Thanks, and it's a good tip for those that don't know about it, unfortunately, I'm well aware of this, and whilst it does improve the experience, it only works sometimes and it's not consistent for me. Flight Sim 2020 for example just doesn't work anymore on my system with the Quest 2... It's far from ideal.

I love the Quest 2, and I think the enhancements that have come to it over the past year have been nothing but staggering. It just seems so out of tune with those developments though how the PC Link part of it has been allowed to rot and fester when it comes to Windows 11 with little official comment from Oculus. I know that's not the primary market for the Quest 2, but IT IS a market for it, just look at the numbers on Steam VR's December report, almost 40% of all headsets connected to Steam VR were Quest 2's!. I know that I've recommended the headset to many people looking to get into VR for flight simulation.

For me, it's simply time to move on for my PC VR experience. I've been patient and waited for it to be addressed as I cannot go back to Windows 10 without a complete re-install, and even if I could, EVERYTHING else is running better on Windows 11 for me.

After trying out a friend's HP Reverb G2 yesterday, I'll be going that way and giving the Quest 2 to the kids, and using it for workout apps...

Bizla
Protege

Oculus seriously need to get their **bleep** together, it may be "supported" but it still have the same bug it had before they supported it (massive stutter and workarounds needing to be used to make it playable).  
They have had a really long time to get this working, they knew full well windows 10 was being replaced, and yet here we are, 210 days after the first developer version of windows 11 was released, and they still have not patched their software.