cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much harm from using Quest 3 while charging? The right charger and cable as possible solution?

Mutraxation
Honored Guest

TL:DR; How much will Quest 3 battery be impacted after how long, by charging the headset while it's being used, and could a laptop PD brick charger remove the battery strain? If the laptop PD charger removes the strain on headset's battery, how much more wattage than headset and charging dock requires is still fine?

Because it kinda sucks to needa wait 2 hours between each session, and since my old Quest 2 seems to be doing fine even after always having used a 15-20W phone charger connected to Elite strap with battery whilst using the headset (ofc only when battery got low), I've looked for possibilities to charge the Quest 3 headset too whilst using it (going for BOBOVR S3 Pro Super strap, while charging its power supply, but this post is about generally just charging the headset while using it).

I came across a post from DownunderGrumpy, where he talks about using a USB-C laptop power brick, as he says such chargers are designed for charging the battery and delivering power to the headset simultationsly, thus the battery stays happy as being charged while having to deliver power to headset strains it. The only issue however, is that one of the "quick answers" when searching for articles about charging the headset while using it, says to simple don't, as charging the headset while it's being used can eventually harm the battery.

And so, my question is how much the Quest 3's battery will be affected after how long when charging the headset while its under normal use or heavy load (ofc only once battery level gets low), for normal usage time a day, and if using a laptop PD charger compatible with other types of devices too would remove the strain on headset's battery? Another question in case the laptop charger does remove the battery strain; how much more wattage than the headset and charging dock requires is fine? Thinking of going for a Universal Notebook 65W PD brick power supply by Hama, or a simple 45W PD universal wall-charger also by Hama if 65W is too much, and it doesn't actually matter whether the charger form is like normal phone chargers, or like normal laptop chargers with transformer being its own part (brick form).

Looking forward for people's suggestions/answers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Mutraxation. This is a great question! We'd be glad to give you some information on this. Though there is no simple answer, we do have a refrence here that could offer you some assitance with this queston. We hope you find this helplful. Looking forward to your response. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Mutraxation. This is a great question! We'd be glad to give you some information on this. Though there is no simple answer, we do have a refrence here that could offer you some assitance with this queston. We hope you find this helplful. Looking forward to your response. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Unfortunately, that article isn't what I'm looking for, as that knowledge is nearly common sense.

My concern is more whether a laptop/phone/universal charger from a 3rd party company could be compatible with the headset (like, if certain output volts and amps would make it compatible).

Just that I've read 2 threads by now that all say there's no issue with using such chargers, as long as they're designed for PD or something, and I'm personally planning to use the Quest 3 headset while charging it with the BOBOVR S3 Pro Super strap (B100 battery). The only issue is I'm not sure whether the headset will be harmed by the battery, since the battery's output volts and amps don't match what's listed in the headset's input specifications, or if the headset's battery will just be strained from it, and so if it could be harmed over time then how long it would take before the damage actually affects anything. Even if you can't find an answer to that question, I'd appreciate an answer to whether a 3rd party PD charger with matching volts and amps would be compatible and not cause harm.

It may only be of limited help to you, but I use a Quest 3 512gb with the official Elite Strap With Battery.

The ESWB is designed to limit charge to 70% when not attached to the headset or when being worn, (when not being worn, or being charged when turned off and connected to the headset, it'll charge to 100%).

From my understanding, the 3rd party batteries operate in the same way as a standard battery pack, which wouldn't have this safety feature as the official option uses custom firmware.

The headset will attempt to take the majority of the charge from an ESWB before the headset battery, however 3rd party batteries tend to operate in a kind of relay, (that is, the headset uses the battery, the strap is charging the battery, and the cable is charging the strap).

When turned off, an ESWB will charge the headset and periodically turn on to check for updates as the headset detects it as charging, the way to stop this is to unplug the cable after it's been turned off and before being turned in.

You may find it beneficial to contact Bobo support too.

Sorry for the longwinded response, and I hope it's not too confusing and at least answers some of your questions, (if you've not purchased the strap yet and aren't totally dismissive of the ESWB, it's something I'd recommend as an owner).

I've also added a picture of the ESWB attached to my Quest 3 512gb, should it be of use.

I could dream forever, and never stop. I could think of life and beauty, the stars that fade in the sky. The hearts of lovers, the dreams of dreamers.
Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?