cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manually change the IPD value

mrgreen72
Superstar
The little slider on my Rift doesn't report back the IPD value to the software so even though my lenses are properly distanced, my IPD value is stuck at 71mm. I know my IPD is 67mm so is there a way I can override the value somewhere?

I've tried the Oculus Debug Tool as well as the Oculus Tray Tool and didn't find anything.

Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

mrgreen72
Superstar
Yeah I watched Carlos videos and I have the right tools but I still wasn't able to unclip that damn bottom clip. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had tried with the spudger too, with no success. With the plastic card it was a breeze. See if you can find one which is thin and flexible enough that it can be bent to conform to the lens shape. Ideally you want something like this:

Push it in between the lens and the mask starting with one corner of the card, getting in the space between two clips. Then slide the card around the lens and the clips should come undone as if by magic  🙂

mrgreen72
Superstar
Do you mean over the cloth? There's no way I have a gap large enough to insert a card like that under the mask.

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, not under the mask, there's no room to work (that's precisely the problem I had with the spudger). With a thin card you can wedge it in right from the outside, like this

3uajgsyfq436.png

mrgreen72
Superstar
Aaaahhhhh!!! 

And that didn't tear the cloth? That thing is pretty tough!

Awesome! Maybe now I can break my Rift for good! 

Thanks man!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Usually these cards have rounded corners to avoid cutting your fingers, so there should be very little risk of tearing the cloth. Anyway, you're not sliding the card over the cloth, but in the tiny fissure between the lens and the plastic black ring to which the cloth is attached. The ring I'm talking about can be seen clearly here at 6:16 when Carlos pushes it up with his fingers:

https://youtu.be/n2H9GnFruH8?t=6m16s

mrgreen72
Superstar
Gotcha!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you find the courage?  😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is actually quite smart LukeRoss, I'll try it too next time!

mrgreen72
Superstar
I did manage to open it up. I gave up afterwards though.   😄

Getting to the potentiometer is too much of a pain and a risk.