cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to photo a dead pixel

babybasher
Protege
First question.  Would you guys accept, or be happy with, getting a new Rift with a dead pixel?  On a black background it glows green like a laser pointer so you're always reminded it's there.  Tried the dead pixel software, but this pixel aint being revived.

I sent support a message and they asked me to take a photo.  How???  I have to have it on my head to see it.  I can't see it when holding it in my hands (yes running a black background and covering the sensor), let alone get my phone in there to take a pic.  Any tips?  

I did reply and explained this but they said they won't progress without a photo... Feels like the famed occulus support I've heard about 😕

Venting post as much as request for help.  Cheers
13 REPLIES 13

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Yea dont worry bud just power it up take a picture and sens it in to them.
Do not use sunlight as thw light source as it will damage the lenses.
WAAAGH!

flexy123
Superstar
Use a webcam or digital cam where you can increase/add exposure

babybasher
Protege

flexy123 said:

Use a webcam or digital cam where you can increase/add exposure

webcam was a good idea, managed to at least get that to the lenses.  All photos and videos come out black haha.  Doing it in a dark room to stop any glare, just can't get the dead pixel on camera.

sucks. wish i could just return and they charge me if they don't find a problem.  However I kinda doubt their integrity 😛

kojack
MVP
MVP
Stuck pixels are the worst (ones that stay as a bright colour), worse than dead pixels (just black).

I had one on my DK1 (or was it my DK2? I can't even remember now), it was a red stuck pixel. It was right in the centre of one eye. That made it noticeable, but it also kind of acted as a crosshair. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
@babybasher Black might not be the best colour for contrast, try yellow or purple

babybasher
Protege
Okay, trying to 'activate' this pixel in something like UDPixel.

This page makes no sense:

https://www.facebook.com/help/oculus/1109708292375710

You can't set the CV1 as the main display.  I loaded up virtual desktop and tried UDpixel.  No good.  The view moves slightly even with the view mode locked. What's the trick here.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is for DK1-2 not for CV1 - I think they have a tool you can ask support for now - but they will be silly and ask for a picture to make sure. Either way, get a ticket going if anything and see if you can at least get the tool.

babybasher
Protege

Mradr said:

That is for DK1-2 not for CV1 - I think they have a tool you can ask support for now - but they will be silly and ask for a picture to make sure. Either way, get a ticket going if anything and see if you can at least get the tool.

I got a ticket open. Its back and forth of
Them : 'send a pic'
Me: 'I can't'
Them:  'okay, but send a pic before we proceed'

I'll ask them for this tool now. If they can't even let me use that then they are truly the worst support ever.

Cheers 🙂 

babybasher
Protege
Well, asked support and the guy is enquiring about getting me the software... Anyone know where the support team is located?  Either this guy is a bit of a smart arse, or english is his second language.

For example his reply:

"Sorry if taking the picture is challenging for you. Most of our customers just use a camera or mobile phone to take the picture."

Yeah well, it's about as challenging as not manufacturing faulty screens i guess 😛
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?