cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Oculus App on Drive OTHER THAN C: Drive

trkent26
Explorer
Hi,

I have spent the past several hours attempting to run the initial Oculus Setup, but every time I get past the Terms and Conditions I get a screen saying that I cannot connect to the Oculus Servers (which I know is false--my Internet is working fine). After scrolling through several other forums and posts, I think if I am able to install the App onto any drive besides my C: drive (I have three drives -- C:, D:, and F:), my problems will be solved. BUT, I cannot figure out how to start the installation on my F: drive. I have tried to follow the steps on this page: 

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1676275305961321/

numerous times. Whenever I enter "OculusSetup /drive:F" into Run, Windows replies something similar to:

"Windows cannot find 'OculusSetup'. Please check your spelling and try again."

If anyone has suggestions for installing on separate drives, any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Camos1011
Honored Guest

Okay. Figured it out once and for all.

I can't believe Oculus nor Meta could make the right instructions.

It's ridiculous.

Here it is once and for all.

1. Place OculusSetup.exe in the new drive directory (i.e. F:).

2. Press Win+R to bring up run prompt and type cmd then "Enter".

3. Type cd/ after C:\Users\(username)>.

4. Type OculusSetup.exe /drive=[drive] after C:\>.

5. Presto!

Works like a charm every time and I'm a newb.

The problem are the subsequent directories are the problem and might be in conflict with certain usernames (ones with spaces i.e. first and last names or companies).

This method had the most consistent results so had to share to put the final nail in the coffin to this problem.

View solution in original post

104 REPLIES 104

trkent26
Explorer
EDIT: When I enter the location of the Setup file before "/drive:F", instead of giving me an error, Windows will ask if I want to give permission to run the executable--however when I say 'yes', the setup program does not start.

For example: I enter "F:\Oculus\OculusSetup /drive:F" into run.

ThatPersonGuy
Explorer
Idk why Oculus made it this way, but It can only download the Oculus Software into your Program Files. I had this problem too, and unfortunately, you're just gonna have to clear some space in your C: drive. I'm pretty sure Oculus requires maybe about 10-13gb of storage. Something along those lines. The problem isn't a network issue, it's just a storage issue, at least that's what it was for me. This was my solution, so I hope it helps.

trkent26
Explorer
@ThatPersonGuy I actually got it to work with this command

F:\Oculus\OculusSetup /drive=F

My new problem is that it won't successfully install. I keep getting the "Please restart your computer" error now.

Drunk3nShaman
Protege
To bad really I can not buy games from them i have to stick with steam, if this is not fixed by the end of the year ill be moving on to VIVE.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You should be able to install on any drive, provided it is supported. You will need at least 120GB free, and the drive also needs to be NTFS format, simple volume (not dynamic), and not networked.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Tasic
Explorer
Hello I figured out a solution for this. Instead of doing it from Windows + R do it from your command prompt. Also instead of  OculusSetup /drive: [new system drive]     Do C:\Users\[User Name]\Downloads\OculusSetup/drive:D Use the command prompt

seperatez
Explorer

Tasic said:

Hello I figured out a solution for this. Instead of doing it from Windows + R do it from your command prompt. Also instead of  OculusSetup /drive: [new system drive]     Do C:\Users\[User Name]\Downloads\OculusSetup/drive:D Use the command prompt

so ive tried doing this and it tells me that the system cannot find the path specified any and all help is much appreciated

LZoltowski
Champion
Use a full path to the file, eg: C:\Users\lucas\Downloads\OculusSetup
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

seperatez
Explorer

Use a full path to the file, eg: C:\Users\lucas\Downloads\OculusSetup

ive tried that and ive even tried doing everything in administrator mode