cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal? (Glare) (Oculus quest)

jmstoker95
Protege
Hello all.

Some of you may have seen my previous post, but I have decided to make another since my question has slightly changed.

When ever the center of my headset's vision is on a dark colour, a glare appears in the center of the headset vision that appears to be a reflection of any white/light colours near by. 

I have taken a few screen shots and tried to simulate the glare I get, please see the screen shots below.

8gq6xs4b35ko.jpg

Above we see the original screen shot.

In the image below I have attempted to recreate the glare I see in my headset (center of black image). If I tilt the headset up and down, the glare moves up and down (the glare is always in the center of the vision). I think the glare is a reflection of the white pixels below the black image.

sq00njn4zpkv.jpg

In the next image I have widened the screen so there is now white at the bottom and sides. You can therefore see that the centered glare reflection matches the white pixels.

fd16ver4f282.jpg

This sort of glare always appears in the center of the vision, when enough lightly coloured pixels are present. So, I also get this glare from the aurora lights in the sky in the background. The glare is only visible when there is a lot of dark, for example in the Vader Immortal game. 

I have come across "god rays", where the glare emanates from white pixels. However, this glare is always in the center of the headset vision. When I look up as in the image below, I don't see any glare on the black image. The glare moves up and stays in the center of the headset vision. 

sfupjyiehzxs.jpg

Would anyone please be willing to try this experiment on their quest and see if you get the same glare? To do this test I simply searched for images using the search word "black" in the oculus browser, and selected an image.

The glare intensity is similar if not worse than what I have tried to create here, and there is more glare all around in general.

I would be very curious to hear if others get the same results. I would like to know, as I can still get a replacement since I ordered through Amazon.

Some more points in case anyone is curous:
- If I close either eye, the glare remains the same (so I don't think it is a scratch)
- If I rotate my head, the glare doesn't change
- If I move my head up/down/left/right  the glare goes up/down/left/right (always stays in the center)

Thanks! 
51 REPLIES 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Screenshots aren't really going to show godrays, as that's something caused by the lenses themselves. Unless by screenshots you meant captured using a camera, and not the internal screenshot function.

This is what godrays should look like...streaks coming off the white images. Not too sure what's going on in your pics though...I do see the faded spots in the black screen of the video portion though...maybe that's just the browser(?).

v1wo02xs5u87.jpg

Raiwon
Protege
got the same... thought it was a hardware fault at first now I'm not so sure anymore.

mike_k_kohnke
Honored Guest
I got that, but cleaning the lenses and adjusting the slider helped some.

jmstoker95
Protege

Spuzzum said:

Screenshots aren't really going to show godrays, as that's something caused by the lenses themselves. Unless by screenshots you meant captured using a camera, and not the internal screenshot function.

This is what godrays should look like...streaks coming off the white images. Not too sure what's going on in your pics though...I do see the faded spots in the black screen of the video portion though...maybe that's just the browser(?).

v1wo02xs5u87.jpg

No. I took screen shots and then edited them with photoshop to try and recreate what I am seeing. 

It's not only in the browser sadly, I just used the browser as a test. 

I believe that this is different from God rays.

Do you get something similar if you focus on dark/black areas when there are light/white pixels surrounding the black?

jmstoker95
Protege

I got that, but cleaning the lenses and adjusting the slider helped some.

Thanks good to know. After cleaning the lens is it hardly noticeable or is it still quite obvious? On mine it's very obvious/quite intense

jmstoker95
Protege

Raiwon said:

got the same... thought it was a hardware fault at first now I'm not so sure anymore.

I think it is hardware, but I'm trying to figure out if it's normal or whether it's a defect. 

jmstoker95
Protege

Raiwon said:

I think it is hardware, but I'm trying to figure out if it's normal or whether it's a defect. 

Oculus support tried the same test that I did and said they saw the same thing, so my guess is that it's normal. I'd be interested to see though if there is anyone that doesn't get this

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I get this quite a bit now. Seems to be worse now than before funnily enough. Maybe I've become more sensitive to it?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:

v1wo02xs5u87.jpg

No. I took screen shots and then edited them with photoshop to try and recreate what I am seeing. 

It's not only in the browser sadly, I just used the browser as a test. 

I believe that this is different from God rays.

Do you get something similar if you focus on dark/black areas when there are light/white pixels surrounding the black?

You edited them? Good grief. I thought it was an actual screenshot...no touch ups. If that's the case, then it's your screen. Too bright in the center. I get it in mine as well, depending on what's on screen. I used to have a monitor that did the same thing.